Quote:

I am into Nostalgia type drags (pre 65) and most of the events that i attend all over are heads up.There are a few that are pushing for a dial in type platform to make it more even .The problem is i and others dont like it .Is there another wat to make it more even ,besides a handicap start?

Yes, just get rid of all the other rules and allow any combo. Then you will not be the fastest car out there and see how you like paying to race with no chance of winning.

The Nostalgia thing is very cool and I like the fun of it with heads-up start etc. But the reason most tracks run brackets is to keep the cost to be competitive down. Any car can win on any given day.

IMO, the best "Nostalgia" thing to do is have pure no-electronics in the car. No button, no trans brake, nothing! Then make it 0.500" pro tree, heads up index classes (not too many, maybe 3). The raceers will either put weight in the car, positive stop the throttle, or fender race. That is a fun combination. A car too fast for the index can get eliminated by red light or break-out (running under the index). But a good fender racer can do well, but he must cut a light or he will break-out against a good racer running the number.

Avoid complicated rules that can't be inforced from cheating. Like, "I took the wire off the trans-brake". No, the brake cannot be in the transmission. It is too easy to hook up and disconnect when people are not looking. Same with all electronics. Make everyone worry about red light starts, so everyone must drive both ends of the track.

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1