Quote:

Timing is everything... and mine sucks! I can't throw my hat into the ring because my junk's still apart and it's a TBD as to when it will be running again. But it certainly fits the theme of this, being a legit pump-gas street-driven (I should emphasize DRIVEN) car that ran consistent 11.0s and dipped into the 10.9s under good conditions. The new bullet should put the hurt to those times (an extra 50 HP ought to be worth something). My backup engine would be a pretty good platform for an N2O effort, too, even though the chassis isn't 9.99 legal. Oh, well...

BTW, "10secBu" is my old MSTRA nemesis Todd G! Last I heard his wasn't a legal street car (too recent a year to bypass his state's emissions regulations), but maybe that's changed...? And "Bu" doesn't mean Buick, it means Malibu!

Hey Brad, long time, no chat .

Yes, the Malibu is completely street legal now. Since the car is now 25 years old, I was able to aquire Marylands "Street Rod" tags which makes the car street legal and emissions exempt.

I made several changes for street duty. First and foremost, I took the drag type mufflers/exhaust off and replaced it with a 3 1/2" in/3" out Dr. Gas X-pipe leading into a pair of 20" long Dynomax welded UltraFlow (largest case they offer) mufflers. The exaust terminated in a pair of 3" tail pipes I custom fabbed to go over the rear axle and exit behind the rear tires...no small feat with the stock suspension pieces and the Wolfe anti-roll bar taking up most of the available space.

I then had to install a NASCAR style oil cooler since the block is filled. The oil temps are now inline with where they should be...also switched to Mobil1 synthetic oil.

Lastly, I had my rear Centerline Convo-Pro wheels widened 1" from 8.5" to 9.5". After they came back, I installed a pair of BFG drag radials in the 325/50-15 size. Oh yea, I swapped the 4.56 gears out for 4.10's since I went from a 30" tall slick to a 28" tall DOT tire...keeps the rpms in check.

Best runs in race trim on a 9 x 30 radial slick were 10.66 @ 125 with a 1.47 60'. Best run (only 4 passes thus far) in true street trim on DR's and full exhaust is 10.96 @ 121 with 1.52 60'.

I have one more DOT race (MSRA sanctioning body) this Sunday at 75/80. After that I want to sneak over to Cecil and see what the car will do at a good track in good air in full street trim.

Brad, you STILL ain't got that Challenger back together??? What's the hold up? Don't say your new child as I now have two, am a full time Mr. Mom and still find time/funds to play with the car .

If you have time, slip out to 75/80 this Sunday and chat awhile .