Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I was just at the Volo Museum and classic car sales yesterday to inspect a car. 90% of the cars there are on consignment, been going there for decades as it is about 5 miles from my house. Usually very nice cars that they know nothing about. Always at least 30% over priced if not more. Of course I go to the auctions and other classic car dealers around the country and most are like that. I find that no reserve auctions usually have a lot of dealer owned or consigned cars that they are just wanting to get rid of and talk the consignors into taking it to auction ... work

One of the main reasons you see a lot of stuff on consignment is because the private party thinks their car is worth a load, they try forever to get rid of it and can’t.
So they take it to a dealer thinking they will get rid of it for them.
Problem is, the figure they give the dealer to work from is obviously already too high, and in order to make any money, the dealer bumps it up even more.
So what happens is the car sits and rots and nobody gets anything.
To listen to in many cases uninformed people on here, you would think only private party cars are ones that could possibly be nice, and priced correctly. That isn’t often the case.
It’s one of the main reason I never asked for a consignment license years ago when we opened our business.
I worked for a place years ago that had a consignment license. Most of the stuff the guy took in on consignment was exactly what I mentioned above, people having issues selling it themselves.
Usually such stuff isn’t worth fooling with, obviously exceptions, and as a dealer you have nothing tied up in it, so sometimes it works out for everybody.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8