Originally Posted by poorboy
Put me on the thank you list for the transmission wiring deal. The OD on the RE46 in my 49 pickup (with a 96 Dakota chassis & wiring) quit functioning, and the code reader says it isn't getting input. I now know where to look, if I can get my hands into the area. Things are pretty congested on this truck.

So, I finally had the chance to get under m truck to look for the wire harness splice. Laying on my back, with the truck on jack stands as high as I can get it, there is no way I will be able to get near that splice to fix it. Maybe on a hoist, but I no longer have one available to use. My truck RE46 does not have the lock up functioning (that I can tell), nor the OD functioning, and I still get the code there is no input from the trans, but I'm not getting a limp in condition. I'm betting that splice has corrosion or broken wires.

I have access to the bottom 1/2 of the trans, and I can get my hands around to the top of the trans, I jut can't reach far enough forward to get to the wire where I suspect the splice is, nor would I be able to repair the splice in the area I suspect its in. I would be perfectly OK with relocating that wire splice to a more accessible location. If I can source the wire(s) from the computer that connect to the trans, I would run a new wire down the trans and connect it to the trans wires. Am I correct in assuming there is the feed (or return) wire from the computer and it is spliced to 3 other wires to provide information to (or from) the computer and trans solenoids?

My question is, is there a wire diagram I can get someplace that tells me which wire comes out of the computer, and how and to which wires it connects to on the trans?

I spent much time looking for the wiring from the trans going to the computer but could not see it. (my motor is very close to the firewall in my 49 truck). I am assuming it comes up the trans tunnel and joins the engine harness around the back of the motor? I have an older FSM for a Dakota, but it pre electronic trans era, so the wiring diagram in it is not helpful on this.