Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
I guess the silver lining is it didn’t happen during drag week........... at a point when you were as far away from the trailer as you could be.

Somehow when that happens we find a way. Back in '08 when I was trunk monkey for Jay Brown, he had spent a year building his 64 Galaxy And it was a major thrash right up through the teck line at the first track in bowling Green Kentucky.

We left the truck and trailer at bowling Green and we raced at Steele Alabama, then on to Montgomery Alabama, and then we were on our way to Memphis when we had our final, irrepairable breakdown about 50 miles east of tupelo Mississippi.
Jay called AAA who towed the car to a hotel at the tupelo airport. Jay got a room there, and stayed with the Galaxie while I rented a car at the airport and drove it back to bowling Green. I stayed overnight there, then the next day I got my truck and trailer out of the fence at the track and loaded the rental car into my trailer and drove it back to the car rental place at the tupelo airport. Then we loaded the Galaxy in and hauled it home. So there's always a way.

On that trip we worked on the car constantly due to unanticipated rocker arm failures and a host of other problems associated with a brand new untested car. The night after we raced at Montgomery, we had another rocker arm failure and were pulled over in a parking lot in Birmingham fixing it and we were both exhausted and it was dark. Jay said "I don't know Joel, should we throw in the towel?" I thought about all of the work that we had done so far and figured why throw it all away? So I said to Jay "let's keep going until we absolutely can't go because of parts or being timed out. Let's not let our own will, or our fatigue be the cause of dropping out." Jay liked the idea and we decided that's what we were going to do. So I've kind of decided that's going to be my drag week policy as well. Keep going as long as I possibly can. In this instance there's nothing I can do to get this car done and on the track in time for drag week.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"