I posted a link to my thread at For B Bodies Only. At the moment, the site is down for some upgrade.
I don't mind sharing it to all that care to read.
Beforehand, I had a Firm Feel Stage 3 chuck with Fast Ratio Pitman and Idler arms. 2 3/4 turns lock to lock. Steering was very stiff once you got past the slop. The on center slop was similar to what a stock box has but since the steering effort was so high, there was a stark difference in feel between the slop and when the tires actually started to steer. It felt like manual steering with a slight assist.
This was annoying and NOT confidence inspiring. Driving on curvy roads meant crossing over the slop at every turn. Straight line driving meant frequent corrections to maintain a line.
In fairness, some of the poor characteristics could be blamed on wide tires and alignment....maybe.
I bought the steering box and associated parts from Bergman Auto Craft. In this $895 kit was the hybrid coupler that just slipped in place of the stock one...it has the splined end welded to it that fits the Borgeson box. There is no modification of any kind. This all fits without modification.
After filling the reservoir with AC/Delco fluid, I started the car and rotated the wheel left to right. This sucked the pump dry so I topped it off. The swap required almost a full quart of fluid. Steering now is much lighter and is 3 1/2 turns lock to lock like stock but the feel is vastly different. This box is a 14-1 ratio, stock is 15.7.
Steering effort can be described as follows.....If you rate a stock power steering car at a 0 and my Stage 3 box with Fast Ratio arms at 100, the Borgeson effort comes in around 35. It is power assisted but not boosted.
It feels much like a late model car where it is comfortable to steer without feeling like a workout. The wheel returns to center like it should. No buzzing or humming like I have heard from some. There is no slop at any point in the steering range. Response is immediate but not twitchy. It absolutely IS confidence inspiring.
Finally, I mean no ill will to Firm Feel. If I had this chuck of mine in another car with stock idler and Pitman arms, it wouldn't feel so bad. This project included a new coupler which replaced a seasoned unit that may have had some wear to it. The reduced steering ratio results in easier steering. The factory Mopar power steering was never intended to be a performance unit but was modified to be one.
However.... I had less than 15.000 miles on the FF box so I did expect a bit better life from it. I've driven a couple of cars with the Stage 2 unit and in retrospect, that is a better setup to live with if one were to choose a rebuild.
The Borgeson is almost double the cost and will be out of the reach for many people but the feel is far better. It gives owners an experience similar to a modern car.

Last edited by Kern Dog; 05/29/22 10:01 PM.