Originally Posted by 68rrunner
Agreed. There were some serious issues with the first run of these boxes, but I think they've got them sorted now for the most part. I haven't had an issue since the first one(first gen) I installed for a customer, it had the input shaft/column alignment issue. We also had a few that would back the pitman arm nut off, despite 2 retorques. KInda weird, almost like the splines needed to bed in.
HOWEVER, the last 2 have been great. Installed one into my 62 about 4 years ago, daily drive that one and it was fantastic, all the previous issues were gone. Dropping one into my Road Runner now to replace my Firm Feel stage 2 that sprung a leak after 14 years of faithful service.
I posted in another thread, the current Borg boxes are 12.1 lbs lighter than the stock boxes (stock box is 35.9 lbs on a certified scale, Borg unit was 23.8). That is a lot of weight off the nose.

I remember reading on here about the alignment issues. Probably had something to do with the fact that the mounting ears were welded onto the housing and not cast with it like the new boxes. I've had a gen2 box on the car now for six years. Only issue I had was with trying to get the correct pump pressure. Finally sorted when I just got a pump from Borgeson.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60