Originally Posted by mopar dave
Al, looking at your data, is that where you like your A/F at or did you correct it?

First off I really didn't intend to muddle up Anyds thread so bad, so I apologize. Since this is not a Mopar figured no one would care to know.

Every combo is different and every fuel, racefuels vary widely, has a different ideal stoich number(I see racepaks all the time where people don't use the correct stoich for their fuel, lambda really is the better way but I like stoich). Bottom line is we run the car where it is fastest, we don't have a number in mind and shoot for that on the track. We pay attention to the timeslip and when we are happy with what we see there we then will come up with our own target AFR number. Again all combos are different but don't ASSUME stoich is where you get the optimal performance. I know some folks think that number is a be all end all and I'm here to tell you in the heads up world that it just isn't that simple. Dont chase a "magic" number chase the slip......

That screen capture was early on with the smaller engine and we were not 100% on it for sure. Carb was to small(2.300" throttle blade)and we were struggling with the new changes to the manifold, first time we had the BIG intake on the car. Having said that for the fuel we ran back then the car was always happiest at 11.6-7-1 for a target AFR. These days we are at a higher stoich number on the tune, and a different fuel. Its always a balancing act with a single 4 carb and intake to get all 8 holes happy. We are still chasing some distribution" issues" but the car keeps getting faster. Carb is bigger, fuel is different and we run a fair amount more RPM these days. The car just went 4.98 140 last time out so we are getting closer to the fast guys in NMCA NA10.5. We dont make a ton of power we try to be really efficient down low. We have a coupe timeslips that show sub 1.10 60' but we don't 100% believe that number yet, but either way aint bad for a small block at 2770lbs. I don't worry near as much about the "ideal" afr as I do the wheelspeed at .5 into the run smile If AFR is in the ballpark we are ok, if wheelspeed is not in the target zone we just are not fast.

Just to muddle it up some more here is a screen capture of a run a last year. Driver short shifted(refuses to use an air shifter) but just to get an idea of distribution on all 8

[Linked Image]

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"