Replying to all above -- Regarding the costs for an old Mopar vs similar classified cars... in my opinion they are about the same.. go ahead and price the parts.. they are about the same. Back in my development days, Mopar suspension parts were available... just had to search and find them; some were custom-made, but no more expensive than what other car-brands would cost. In my history which began with SCCA pylon AX back in the mid 1970s, the single critical and determining issue was to follow your chosen sanctioned club's racing rules.. for allowable mods. All the cars in same classes had to follow the same rules. Tires were the single biggest expense.. and sponsorships from those tire companies (free racing tires) were extremely gracious and helpful... still happens today for the most gifted drivers in all racing sports.

I emphasize "similar classified cars" in my response... I don't care about the Vettes, BMWs, Porsches, Mazdas, etc, as well as the latest model Camaros, Mustangs etc... they could and should be beating me... regardless on a pylon AX course or HPDE/HSAX road course... tires are the biggest factor.. and, again, following the sanctioned club's classifications/rules. I recently ran an HPDE on a 2.0mile road course and had fun running my Challenger against a newer 392 Challenger... he couldn't overtake me anywhere (1/2 mile straight-a-way was his only chance)... and that was a blast.. as we both commended each other off the track.

The biggest overall factor of all .. is the nut-behind-the-wheel... the driver. I've had other drivers run my car in timed competition... and sure enough... they sometimes had faster times than me... more often than I care to admit.

I also want to add with emphasis... there is no need or reason to make extreme suspension changes in our older Mopars... unless you have lots of extra time and unlimited amounts of money to do so... and then you can claim and brag about all the work that was done... and the huge expenses... and struggle with results.. and try to find a class that you will be equally running against other cars with similar mods. I've seen some of those excessively modified cars in competition and most are all for show... and no-go.

Last edited by Mopar Mitch; 07/14/21 05:57 PM.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!