Originally Posted by A/MP
I've been drag racing for over 40 years. My kids are road racing with BMW's. Their cars have suspension upgrades, tires and a slight tune. I'd like to prepare one of my early A's with vintage iron and dog them around the track. Building HP won't be a problem. So I need some thoughts for suspension and how to drive that car w/o anti lock brakes.

A/MP...

Here's my thoughts:

Start off with a simple build that gets the car dependable, stable, and useable. This will get you out there sooner and give you something to work with. Simple upgrades will get your car fast enough for a begining level. Once you are on the track, don't worry too much about the car being fast, work on your driver skill set so you become fast. It takes awhile to get comforable out there, get used to cornering lines, brake applications, and use of the accelerator. Good drivers can make slow cars fast and bad drivers in fast cars are never really fast. Once you advance in run groups, consider heavy modifications or advancing to better platforms.

I can promise you that with basic upgrades on a stock Mopar platform, you can make a decent and fun car, without spending a lot of money. Deviating from stock geometry will no doubt be better, but at what cost and effort does it take, and is it worth it. My Super Bee is using the stock platform and perfroms quite well with a few simple upgrades. I'm a driving instructor for my work and have quite a few track days under my belt. I still find my Bee to be plenty of car for my purposes and really have no need to make it faster right now. Here's a link to my setup and I'll attach a photo so you can see it on the track.

Here's a link to my build over on FBBO - FBBO - B Bodies and Road Courses[url=https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/b-bodies-and-road-courses-my-super-bee-setup.220738/#post-911918299][/url]

Here's a last little bit of advice. Go have some fun, set your expectaitons low and when you exceed them, nothing but great things will come of it. DO NOT focus on being the fastest guy out there, that will happen when you advance your skill set. Smooth is fast and good drivers can make slow cars fast.

Good Luck
Mike

IMG_04246.jpgIMG_03781.jpg
Last edited by MoparMike23; 07/14/21 02:34 PM.

1969 Superbee 440-6
1977 D-150 Adventurer
2000 Jeep TJ
2018 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
2019 Ram 2500 CTD