Originally Posted by MadMatt
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
I believe that our own ThumperDart can put you together a carb that would rival the retro-fit throttle body systems in driveability and for a lot less money and hassle.

For that matter, if your cam is mild and idle not too lumpy, the new Street Demons that look similar to the old Thermoquads are very good carbs right out of the box for mild engines. And for $300 or so, are a real bargain to boot. Lots of Youtube videos on them.

I didn't put this in my original post but I drive the car spring/summer/fall here in Idaho, so temperatures from about 45 degrees to 100 degrees, and I drive in elevations ranging from 800-5200 feet above sea level. No disrespect intended, but do you honestly think any carb can handle those conditions as well as an EFI system with it's multitude of sensors?

The temp swing is no big deal. Properly tuned, carbs have been handling it forever. The ThumperDart tuned Dominator on my Hemi does it just fine and that is with no choke. Others will have to weigh in on the current situation with elevations. It has been 50 years since I have been in a car going over the continental divide. But back then, the Fury had a /6 and did just fine.

There are a few advantages to retrofit fuel injection. But only a few. And only the user can determine if those few advantages are worth the extra cost and complexity. Most potential EFI purchasers are exaggerating the advantages of EFI because they are comparing the EFI to an un-tuned or faulty carb. Factory designed and installed fuel injection on modern cars is an entirely different animal and none of us would want to go back to the good old days of carbureted engines. But wet manifold throttle body retrofit EFI is just about as obsolete as carbs are. They are just more expensive, complicated, and with a steeper learning curve for most users.

I will say it again, a properly tuned carburetor can deliver as nearly perfect a driving experience as most retrofit EFI systems can. But I will add this; if the additional cost, complexity, and learning/tuning curve are not a problem, then there is no reason not to go with EFI. Other than the issue of future obsolescence and difficulty in getting certain proprietary replacement parts.

Master, again and still