Most 4wd trucks are really 2 wheel drive, driving only one wheel in the front and one in the rear. And even then, the one with the least traction will spin. And at 6,000 lbs, they are hard to get going and stop in the slick. Now obviously they can be set up with rear sure-grip and traction tires, but most don't have either and as such aren't much better than a 2wd with sure-grip and traction tires.

My uncle's old V-6 2wd Dakota had sure-grip, good traction tires, and sand bags in the bed. He could push snow with the front bumper with that thing. Went as good in the slop as almost any 4wd. My dad had a 4wd shivvy for years. One winter we had an ice storm that dumped a full inch of ice on us. His truck was dangerous to try to get out of the driveway. If you actually got it moving, you couldn't stop it. The neighbor had a little AWD Saturn View. It got around very good.

In my experience, 4wd trucks can be set up to work much better than their 2wd counterparts and are an absolute must in some applications. But most are in reality no more capable than a well set up 2wd.

And by the way, I have an '18 4wd Ram with factory 20s that only pulls one front and one rear wheel. I certainly wouldn't trust it to get me out of the slop. But I didn't choose the combo.

Flame away all you 4wd warriors. weld

Master, again and still