I grew up in the Chicago area, learned to drive in winter weather when the most sophisticated computer in the car was the meat one between my ears.

I live in W. Texas now and when this ice storm rolled in I stayed home. Had a job in Midland, 120 miles each way, Thursday. Got up Thursday morning, went to the local gas station to fill up even though I had enough gas to get there and back lessons learned long ago taught me to fill up in case of crappy weather because you never know. Got done with the fill up, got on the major road leading out of town and immediately the tail end of the truck is kicking out on me, regardless of traction control. Turned left at the next intersection, went home, called the customer and told him not going to happen. I probably could have gotten to the job but I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get home at the end of the day and I sure didn't want to deal with idiots trying to drive like it's the Indy 500 in those conditions. Customer had a six hour drive back to Austin in front of him after the job was done, he wouldn't have made it had he left at the end of the day. Told him good luck getting home, which was all I could do.

My daughter lives up in the DFW area and they never even opened that day due to weather. So she stayed home, my SIL is a cop so he doesn't get that option.