Originally Posted by 3hundred
Originally Posted by RobG
Whomever got hit by the FedEx truck just hit the lottery.

Knowing the road conditions and driving at a safe speed...what's so hard about doing that? If you are not sure about your driving skills, or your vehicle is not built/equipped for those conditions - get off the road.

Rob, as a native Michigander, former Wisconsinite, Utahan and Ohioan, you don't know what you're talking about. It's different here. West Texas and the panhandle are more similar to what you're used to.

I saw a story earlier I can't find now, about a guy who was in the crash and then was helping people get free from their wrecked cars. There was a woman screaming in a wreck, and he was trying to help her but saw the Fed Ex semi coming towards them out of control and lept under a wrecked semi trailer and was OK but saw the woman crushed to death right in front of his eyes by the Fed Ex truck crashing into her wrecked car. angel
Having lived in this area my whole life I hate salt for all the damage its done to my cars, but realize it is necessary.
They do a damn good job here with pre treating, plowing and salting but every now and then there will be an icy spot and it catches you by surprise. A few years ago it was super cold but hadn't snowed in days so the streets were clear and dry. I was in a left turn lane going maybe 30 to try to make the arrow, tapped the brakes, and completely lost control in the blink of an eye, car went into the intersection spinning around and I was bracing waiting to wreck into someone or something, but the car came to a halt after a couple turns without hitting anyone thankfully. It was a busy intersection with cars stopped at all corners, I looked around sheepishly thinking of Peewee Herman in one of his movies "I meant to do that! he he" and then turned the wheel and headed on my way. I still cringe thinking of how quick I lost control, and I'm a person who has suffered through decades of driving in snowstorms and other treacherous winter conditions.