Jeremy, I've used the Dakota column on the last 3 frame swaps, because I've also used the Dakota wiring harness to keep the efi. After 92 or so, the Dakota column had a factory air bag. When they went to the air bag, they also added an under the dash black box that everything under the dash runs through. With the addition of the black box, all the in truck switches changed from simple off/on to a variable voltage reading. Turn the wipers on, you get a change in the voltage coming from the switch, change from low speed on the wipers to high speed results in another voltage change, and if you shut the wipers off, you get another voltage change. As a system, it all works, but to use components individually it all becomes a nightmare. After market wiring, switches, and the components they operate would solve the issue, but the last 3 conversions involved a functioning system with very good wiring and I was too cheap and in too big of a hurry to change it all out.

I've also used the Dakota floor pan (if it was good), when it made sense. I did a 39-47 and the Dakota pan was just too wide, nothing really fit or lined up. I probably could have used the Dakota pan on my 49, but the original floor was replaced at one time, and they used 1/8" plate. I did use the firewall, and the trans tunnel (back to the 49's seat bracket). I also used the Dakota HVAC box, it bolted to the firewall intact (the 39 cab was not wide enough to use the Dakota HVAC box, and my 48 Plymouth coupe was just short of being wide enough, on it I cut off the recirculating duct and redid it). The 49 has a functioning fresh air vent that opens and closes on top of the cowl, I'd sure like to keep that, but I'm going to have to redesign the lever that opens and closes it because the Dakota box occupies the area the lever used to reside in. I also will be using the Dakota AC (if I can figure out where to put the condenser) and that will need a fresh air inlet to draw outside air during both heat and AC cycles. I'm still giving both the fresh air systems a great deal of thought.

A windshield wiper system is another project. Everything involved with the original truck wiper system was gone on my truck. Those wiper would stroke in opposite directions. I can use the entire Dakota system, if I make brackets and re-engineer everything. All the modern wiper stuff strokes the wipers in the same direction. On my coupe I installed an idler pivot that changed the direction of the one wiper arm, it works, but requires a consistent re-lubing. Something I won't be able to do on this truck.

If the high box floor really bothers you, you can also use the Dakota front clip and splice it to the rear frame on your 57. Behind the trans cross member, under the cab, would be a good place to splice your frame in. If you splice it under the cab, all your original springs and box mounting will still work. You won't be able to use the Dakota fuel tank, but other tanks will work. You can get other tanks for use with EFI electric intake fuel pumps, or for carb use with or without an in tank pump.

I'm willing to help with anything I can, I'm on Moparts nearly every night. Gene