Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Me thinks your goal of running in the 8 with a 383 in your car are unobtainable tsk twocents
All kidding aside, that car is heavy and those motors are limited on how much cheap power you can make with them, been there done that(multiple times) whiney
Can you find a usable 440 crankshaft? If so I would use it by turning down the mains to 383 size and have a set of pistons made for using the stock 440 rods in your 383 , you will have to do some work, grinding the edges, on the crankshaft counterweights to clear the main webbing but increasing the stroke to 3.750 in a low deck is a really good way to help on the low end torque.
Being in Sweden has to limit your ability and choices on parts for this project so I can feel your pain and frustrations work good luck up

Listen to this guy! Put a crank in it and enjoy the low end that it will provide! I have a 470" low deck with a mild solid roller cam. Idles nicely at 900 rpm, looks like a 383, rpms like a chain saw and pulls like a freight train!!