Originally Posted by BSB67
Originally Posted by HP2
Originally Posted by BSB67

A mechanical cam is the only cam I'd put in a 383 application if you want to mazimize street friendly power. Unless you really don't care about power and performance, and only low end torque put some tiny cam in it and go ahead and keep it hydraulic.

Explicate why a mechanical cam would perform better in the lower rpm range. I have honestly never digged into that field. I have used mech cams in high revving street/strip engines but not in something like this.

I think you my have missunderstood my point, but my my wording was poor as well.

In short, maximizing power (track performance), and low rpm torque (the low speed "feel" of the motor) is hard, paticularly with a 383. These things compete with one another in a 383 more so than 440s. You also made a statement about 4500 rpm, and not sure what to infer from that. A stock 383 is pretty happy at 5500.

Anyways, to have your cake and eat it too, you need to put a cam in it that moves the valves fast, but will still keep the valvetrain happy to 6000 rpm. The fast rate hydraulic cams (or lifters) usually struggle at higher rpm. A faster rate solid cam can do both. Also, loosening the valve lash will sharpen-up the low throttle response noticably on a 383. The faster you move the valves and slap the valvetrain around, the harder it is on parts. It's always a compromise.
with all things equal a solid cam is more flexible and will do everything a hydraulic will do and more. i'm with bsb67 on this one.