Originally Posted by topside
CH4B is a square-bore intake; spreadbore carbs like a Thermoquad won't fit without an adapter, though you MAY be able to modify the intake.
Back in the day, we'd use a 440 AVS to pick up some CFM; now, I prefer the Eddy AVS2. I do like the T-quads though.
Cam: you can throw lift at it, but too much duration will make for lazy low-RPM response.
I'd probably keep duration under 230 @ .050 but look for around .500 lift, favoring the exhaust side for what you're doing.
I wouldn't worry about mech/hyd lifters, but I would get the Johnson or similar improved-oiling ones.
A Street Hemi pan is pretty stealthy but an additional quart capacity, and a Milodon or MP tray with the drains opened up a bit works.
I've had a 383 like the above that would indeed blaze the tires with 3.23s & stock converter, stock manifolds, cleaned up stock heads, 9.5:1 ('68 Road Runner).
Looked totally original.

Aha, took for granted CH4B (or actually DP4B as someone pointed out) would fit a spreadbore carb. I will look deeper into intakes.
I want small primaries to get high velocity speed in the range I mostly will use the engine. I also like Thermoquads but they are a hassle to adjust correctly... I have good experience of the Street Demon. 625 cfm will be more than enough but the design of the secondaries is similar to the TQ so they only give what the engine vacuum demands.
I have been looking around a little for cams. Just like you say I'm looking for high lift and low duration. Hughes has http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...amp;level1=Q2Ftc2hhZnQ=&partid=30253 and they always state that their grinds are for Mopar .904 lifters. I have always been happy with their cams before.

70 W100 Power Wagon. 318 4-spd
70 Sport Fury 440 2dr HT
71 Duster 340
71 Charger Super Bee - 383/727
72 Charger "Sabotage" - 440/727 - Street/Strip
78 Warlock in beautiful patina