Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
THe wife and I talked all of this over, then she thought about it for a few days. She decided she would like to go to Hawaii. Sounds like a great choice! We were planning to go to Hawaii for our 30th wedding anniversary in January 2017. But when I tried to plan the trip, she decided she didn't want to go. So this trip will be the replacement. SInce I don't know if I'll ever get her out on a trip like this again, I want to go deluxe, even if I have to kick in some of my own $$. Like upper level beach front rooms, etc. We will for sure rent a convert for the exploring by car. I suggested that we don't have to stay in the most touristy, crowded areas of the state. SHe said she didn't want to spend the whole time in the jungle, either.
I'm going to try to get her to agree to 2 weeks, at least. She will want to do only 1 week. I'll have to filter thru all your responses again to help formulate a game plan. Thanks for all the help!

Good choice, you'll have lots of options.. Growing up in the Northeast US, it's been a great change of scenery to visit Hawaii.. If you research each island, you'll get a sense of each one's "vibe" and find what fits you and your wife...

We did Kauai and The Big Island (Hawaii) once.
- Kauai: Easy to find condo rentals right on the beach in Lihue, walking distance to restaurants and shopping. Some good places and tours to go sightseeing. Rented a Jeep to explore all over, REALLY varied terrain between the cliff shore of the NaPali Coast up north, the giant jungly volcanic mountain in the center, the beaches all around the edges, and the dry scrubby canyon in the south.
- The Big Island: All about volcanoes.

Another time we spent the entire week just on Oahu.
- Luxury hotel at Waikiki, easy walking to restaurants, bars, shopping, entertainment. Rented a convertible to drive the island. Nice beaches, very decent nature hikes, a wide variety of tourist sightseeing options. Pearl Harbor. Pineapple plantations. Macadamia nut plantations. Bird sanctuary. An awesome Buddist temple you can visit. With that much variety I think you could enjoy an entire week on Oahu and not be disappointed.

You will have a great time.
- Art

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle