I wonder if anybody that replied to this post ever had to fill out the new safety inspection sheets yet that have become mandatory in most larger shops and dealerships. Some repair shops call it the "free" 49 point safety inspection and being flat rate guess how much I get paid for this "free" inspection that the dealer doesn't charge for shruggy $0.0 dollars. I am required to do this inspection on every car that comes in even if it is a simple recall or ECM re-flash to customize your door locks.
This: Here's a thought...customer brings the car in with a brake concern, road test verifies the concern. Shop says "oh it'll likely go away" Sends the customer on his way and the brakes fail......who do you think will be on the hook? In this case the shop's recommendation was a complete brake inspection. The customer declined to have his brakes looked at...now he goes down the road and something happens.... the shop has something to stand on....remember this is all on the repair order. It's called CYA.
People leave the dealership after a small service even a simple oil change and something happens on the way home they will be back and if you don't have the "free" document saying the car was fine when it left guess what ... The tech that looked at it is now liable for it. CYA is an understatement in this litigious society we live in.
You used to be able to get by on $1000 dollars woth of tools to do your job but now that just won't cut it anymore. The costs to run shop anymore will break the independents now in this climate so give them a break and pay for the damn inspection so you can feel safe.
This is the end of my "repair shop customer venting" argue

Gus beer

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60