Moparts

Bit of auto repair shop venting

Posted By: Cometstorm

Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/04/20 09:59 PM

So,

Wife and I have a prestine 2010 Buick LaCrosse CSX that is our main interstate travel car. Perfect shape, well maintained, still looks new and even has the "new car ambience" inside and out. just turned 60,000 largely interstate miles.

Our "go to" maintenance place closed up last year, so I took it to a different local shop for a routine emissions test. The manager was "VERY WELCOMING" upon my drop off. We even struck up a Vanishing Point / Two Lane Blacktop conversation.

Let me backup and say this place did a cam beefy install and head work on my 1970 Vanishing Point Challenger in about 2000. Wonderful job, but the place switched ownership a few years ago.

So anyway, they call me a few hours later....and say I really "should" have the oil changed, "according to the windshield sticker, it is due." I say, let me check my computer records, as I think I had it done recently.

Sure enough, it was done in January. Full synthetic (as always), less than 1000 miles since. He still says, that it really should be changed. I say, even though it's synthetic??? He says yup, still breaks down.

I understand this, but not THIS quick! whistling

Then, he says their "full vehicle check" shows an abnormal amount of copper in the brake lines. Suggests an exchange,and says the manual calls for it.

Now, that may be manual wise...but I've never had it done.

Now, to add to the issue: The Buick (always garaged) has now been parked outside under a great tarp for the past several months. Bought a newer car, so one had to go outside.

When I drive it to this place (Driven for the first time in a couple months), I noticed a slight "thumping" when i hit the brakes at city speed. Just prior to the final stop. I mention it to them, to please check. I suspect it was just a light coating of moisture rust due to sitting outside in the early Spring.

They say they test drove it, and experienced the same thing. Said it may be nothing and will wear off, but could be more serious. They wanted $70 for a "brake inspection."

When I try to converse with him on some of this, his ultimate response was: "It's your car, do what you want."

Sooooooooooo, I go to pick it up and pay the $24.00 emissions fee.

Seems like no one would even converse, or make eye contact with me.

When my 2012 Challenger SXT Plus comes due for emissions (16,000 miles), or anything else.... I will not repeat the same mistake! hammer
Posted By: 69gtxvert

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/04/20 11:21 PM

I feel bad for the good guys that make a living repairing cars for folks who can't or don't want to. There are many out there but they risk getting lumped into the same category as this bunch you dealt with. Glad you got out of there with a $24 bill. It would have been a lot worse for many, including my wife, my mother, my sister....insert your own victim.
Posted By: topside

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/04/20 11:26 PM

Not sure what the labor rate is where you are, but they're likely losing money at $24 for an emissions test.
I'd guess that fee is set by the State ?
I don't know how "abnormal amount of copper in brake lines" would be checked/found, but it sounds like they were hoping to make a few bucks or at least break even.
Kinda like those $19.95 lube/oil/filter deals, the shops are hoping to upsell on any issues they see.
I'd sure want to know what that thumping sound is all about.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/04/20 11:42 PM

Not sure i follow. You took a vehicle to a shop that was new to you/this car. You requested an emissions test and mentioned a brake concern.They road tested and inspected the vehicle(as a good shop/tech should). Then they made some recommendations(as a good shop/tech should do)They suggested:

1) Oil change likely based on time(they have no idea about the vehicle usage or the oil used at last service)Based on your knowledge of the vehicle and usage...you decline

2) Brake fluid flush(most manufactures recommend this as maintenance)Based on your knowledge and past experience...you decline

3) Brake inspection(for a fee) due to the concern you expressed as well as the tech test drive. Based on your discussion with them and your past experience...you decline

From here it sounds like the shop attempted to address every one of your concerns and performed a thorough examination of the vehicle and in the end only performed the service you authorized. Sounds like a shop that has the customer in mind.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/04/20 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Not sure what the labor rate is where you are, but they're likely losing money at $24 for an emissions test.
I'd guess that fee is set by the State ?
I don't know how "abnormal amount of copper in brake lines" would be checked/found, but it sounds like they were hoping to make a few bucks or at least break even.
Kinda like those $19.95 lube/oil/filter deals, the shops are hoping to upsell on any issues they see.
I'd sure want to know what that thumping sound is all about.

UPSELL on those deals ? Perish that thought !! BECAUSE there’s MORE!

They’ll ADD IN a free tire rotation!

And YOU KNOW where that goes ! whistling

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/04/20 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Not sure i follow. You took a vehicle to a shop that was new to you/this car. You requested an emissions test and mentioned a brake concern.They road tested and inspected the vehicle(as a good shop/tech should). Then they made some recommendations(as a good shop/tech should do)They suggested:

1) Oil change likely based on time(they have no idea about the vehicle usage or the oil used at last service)Based on your knowledge of the vehicle and usage...you decline

2) Brake fluid flush(most manufactures recommend this as maintenance)Based on your knowledge and past experience...you decline

3) Brake inspection(for a fee) due to the concern you expressed as well as the tech test drive. Based on your discussion with them and your past experience...you decline

From here it sounds like the shop attempted to address every one of your concerns and performed a thorough examination of the vehicle and in the end only performed the service you authorized. Sounds like a shop that has the customer in mind.

$70 for a brake “inspection?”

No, all in all this was an up-sell,

And they were visibly disturbed between drop off and pickup that I didn’t buy.

Drove car home, and thumping noise was gone.

Must’ve wore off already.. .
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 12:00 AM

So you want them to inspect your brakes for NOTHING ??? Guys like you think tools and equipment pay for themselves. The copper in the brake fluid thing is just strange I must admit but some domestic (American) do have fluid contamination issues. When I do a brake inspection at the dealership ($59.95) I pull all four wheels and calipers to confirm slides and pins are free. And if the customer declines all the work I suggest it needs I loose and so does the dealer because they pay me an hour for the inspection.
I really hate when I get a repair order with 3-4 "could you also look at this or that while it's on the rack" flame I get flat rate pay for ONLY things I can bill the customer for. I also find it hard to believe that you have never driven a car with rust on the rotors from sitting a few weeks confused

It's not easy being a shop owner in today's economy so he is trying to sell you a brake flush that your specific car may very well need. All you have to say is "no thanks" if you don't want it done.
Your lube sticker deal is why I quit putting the date on them. Most cars that use synthetic oils are 10K intervals (which I don't agree with either) the oil still gets dirty and should be changed every 5K twocents
Gus
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 12:04 AM

thumping could have been a tire from sitting.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cometstorm
Originally Posted by Dcuda69

$70 for a brake “inspection?”

No, all in all this was an up-sell,

And they were visibly disturbed between drop off and pickup that I didn’t buy.

Drove car home, and thumping noise was gone.

Must’ve wore off already.. .

Like Gus said....your car will occupy a hoist and a tech to inspect brakes and write an estimate. Wheels have to come off, calipers get inspected.rotors get measured and a list is created. That list goes to a manager/writer who then spends time locating/pricing parts and calculating labor. Then he contacts the customer with an exact estimate of work to be done,the cost of the work and the time required to complete the work.Many shops will waive inspection fees if work is authorized.If work is declined the shop has to be able to cover the time involved in creating an accurate estimate for required repairs.

There's a LOT involved in a running a successful/profitable repair center in today's world.It's not cheap to run these businesses.....equipment is expensive,qualified techs don't come cheap,disposing of stuff(tires/chemicals)isn't cheap,etc,etc,etc.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 12:34 AM

Come on guyz .... there are shops here in Florida that offer FREE TIRE ROTATION with a oil/filter/lube job ! ..,, and in many cases no zerk fittings were attended to AND in many times the engine oil filter was never changed ! tsk

THEN .... there’s that so called BRAKE FLUID FLUSH...... tsk tsk
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 12:55 AM

$70 for a brake inspection that was a short drive? No mention of wheels off or even going into the air? Or did I misunderstand and he wanted to do a brake check for $70?

Regardless, he'd have lost me at insisting to change out my 1000 mile old synthetic oil that could be "broke down".

Hard pass. The wise cracks would have sealed it.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
$70 for a brake inspection that was a short drive? No mention of wheels off or even going into the air? Or did I misunderstand and he wanted to do a brake check for $70?

Regardless, he'd have lost me at insisting to change out my 1000 mile old synthetic oil that could be "broke down".

Hard pass. The wise cracks would have sealed it.

Thank you...

That was my first sign that everything to follow was BS!
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 08:52 AM

Regarding the copper in the brake fluid thing, yes it's real and a decent test of fluid conditions. As the fluid breaks down it becomes corrosive and starts to dissolve the copper coating inside the lines. The test is done similar to a litmus test.

While 70 sounds a bit high for a brake inspection, i don't think it's out of line to charge for one. They take time to do properly.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 09:06 AM

The manager was "VERY WELCOMING" upon my drop off. We even struck up a Vanishing Point / Two Lane Blacktop conversation.
A ploy: get customer "relaxed", feeling at-ease, welcomed, etc. Then down to "business" (making money). When that falls thru; show your "true self" with "It's your car, do what you want.".

Nonetheless: people do have expectations that they are "entitled" to have every little questionable issue they have about their car addressed by a shop, without the faintest though that "time is money" in that business.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
So you want them to inspect your brakes for NOTHING ??? Guys like you think tools and equipment pay for themselves. The copper in the brake fluid thing is just strange I must admit but some domestic (American) do have fluid contamination issues. When I do a brake inspection at the dealership ($59.95) I pull all four wheels and calipers to confirm slides and pins are free. And if the customer declines all the work I suggest it needs I loose and so does the dealer because they pay me an hour for the inspection.
I really hate when I get a repair order with 3-4 "could you also look at this or that while it's on the rack" flame I get flat rate pay for ONLY things I can bill the customer for. I also find it hard to believe that you have never driven a car with rust on the rotors from sitting a few weeks confused

It's not easy being a shop owner in today's economy so he is trying to sell you a brake flush that your specific car may very well need. All you have to say is "no thanks" if you don't want it done.
Your lube sticker deal is why I quit putting the date on them. Most cars that use synthetic oils are 10K intervals (which I don't agree with either) the oil still gets dirty and should be changed every 5K twocents
Gus

Every single time I dealt with a customer who said their 10 year old (or older) vehicle was in "perfect condition," I knew there were going to be problems.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 01:37 PM

The only thing I see out of whack is the oil change part. For the brake inspection especially when it's discs a decent garage would usually tell you what it might be from a quick look and say for that $70 they'll check into it further and I can see them charging something for labour to put it on a hoist unless it's already in the air for another reason. A good garage would absorb those costs if you actually get them to do whatever work it needs and if it's a shop that you deal with regularely they usually won't charge you at all.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 03:04 PM

Hmmmm ... a RELAXED customer.... laugh2

BUTTT .. what da fugg is this COPPER IN THE BRAKE LINES ?

Please inform this VERY RELAXED ex FabUglass guy ! .... coffee

Posted By: Hrtbkr

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 04:08 PM

I'm curious about copper in the brake fluid myself.

I took my GTX to the tire store across the street for a State safety inspection. The first thing the ape mechanic did was unplug a bunch of stuff under the dash looking for the OBD plug. Then they couldn't figure out how to enter the VIN in the state system because it only had 13 characters.
I ended up taking it to the place across town where I usually go.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hrtbkr

It was news to me as well. I thought brake fluid contamination was a concern primarily because of ABS modules, figured it was because of moisture. Apparently that's not as much a concern anymore. The copper comes from the brake lines indicating a breakdown of the brake fluid additive package. Didn't even know it had a additive package.

Diagnostic fees wasn't even a term when I was a mechanic in the 1970's. Never heard of it until the 1980's. The quoted fee sounds high to me to put it on a lift, pull the wheels and drums if any. 20 minutes work? I think my record for 4 tires and balance was ~ 45 minutes back in the day.

The shops attitude when the work was declined was the only thing that bothered me. That's not how you treat a customer. It's not like the pads were gone and riding on metal or tires down to the cord. Nothing imminently dangerous here.
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 05:06 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what a "cam beefy install" is. grin

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by lilcuda
I'm still trying to figure out what a "cam beefy install" is. grin

3/4 cam, except beefier. Duh.
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 05:55 PM

So,

Wife and I have a prestine 2010 Buick LaCrosse CSX that is our main interstate travel car. Perfect shape, well maintained, still looks new and even has the "new car ambience" inside and out. just turned 60,000 largely interstate miles.

Our "go to" maintenance place closed up last year, so I took it to a different local shop for a routine emissions test. The manager was "VERY WELCOMING" upon my drop off. We even struck up a Vanishing Point / Two Lane Blacktop conversation.

Let me backup and say this place did a cam beefy install and head work on my 1970 Vanishing Point Challenger in about 2000. Wonderful job, but the place switched ownership a few years ago.

So anyway, they call me a few hours later....and say I really "should" have the oil changed, "according to the windshield sticker, it is due." I say, let me check my computer records, as I think I had it done recently.

Sure enough, it was done in January. Full synthetic (as always), less than 1000 miles since. He still says, that it really should be changed. I say, even though it's synthetic??? He says yup, still breaks down.

I understand this, but not THIS quick! whistling

Then, he says their "full vehicle check" shows an abnormal amount of copper in the brake lines. Suggests an exchange,and says the manual calls for it.

Now, that may be manual wise...but I've never had it done.

Now, to add to the issue: The Buick (always garaged) has now been parked outside under a great tarp for the past several months. Bought a newer car, so one had to go outside.

When I drive it to this place (Driven for the first time in a couple months), I noticed a slight "thumping" when i hit the brakes at city speed. Just prior to the final stop. I mention it to them, to please check. I suspect it was just a light coating of moisture rust due to sitting outside in the early Spring.

They say they test drove it, and experienced the same thing. Said it may be nothing and will wear off, but could be more serious. They wanted $70 for a "brake inspection."

When I try to converse with him on some of this, his ultimate response was: "It's your car, do what you want."

Sooooooooooo, I go to pick it up and pay the $24.00 emissions fee.

Seems like no one would even converse, or make eye contact with me.

When my 2012 Challenger SXT Plus comes due for emissions (16,000 miles), or anything else.... I will not repeat the same mistake! hammer

What do you do for a living? That shop as well as the techs have to make a living. They make a living by providing a service after years of experience and training. Had you had that years of experience and training and tools and equipment you would not have had to have them work on your car. I have a good friend who is a Kia mechanic. He just got back to work 2 weeks ago from self quarantine himself from possible exposure to COVID-19. He said the dealership has 3 total techs, The 1st week back he said they had 3 or 4 jobs scheduled for that week for the 3 guys. Shops are hurting just like everyone else. So if they spend time working on your vehicle with services your requested them to do. Then by rights they should be commentated for the services. Yes there are times when a shop or tech can and do go out of their way to help someone out but this day and age we are ALL going through. That just I think will be less. Just think of it this way. Had that shop and tech not worked on your car. they either could of been working on something else providing an income for both parties.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 05:57 PM

Unless there is a real issue, a brake inspection in my world is look at the pads and verify no leaks. Done. A lot of the time it can be done without removing the wheels. Unless it has a real concern - pulling, pulsating, losing fluid, lights on, park brake hanging or something obvious - I'm not going to spend a lot of time tearing stuff apart to look at it.

The brake fluid I get. It does get nasty and degrade. However, that would be done at the same time as a brake service/pad change.

Again, I would have been done with this guy early on. I would have pushed the car off the lot before letting him do any work. Don't BS me.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 06:06 PM

Reminds me of a service writer I had years ago. Nice looking young couple come in with a really nice looking Golden Retriever.

Service writer makes all over the dog, petting it, making friends and tells the people about the dog he had, but sadly, had gotten old and had to be put down recently. Sold them everything but the kitchen sink.

I'm a dog person so later I asked him about his dog. He says "I never had one of those filthy stinkin things. I just told them that $#!^."
Posted By: restoman

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger

Every single time I dealt with a customer who said their 10 year old (or older) vehicle was in "perfect condition," I knew there were going to be problems.

Yup. Red flags arise when I hear that...
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 07:04 PM

What's the door rate? Around here most shops are around $100 +/- so if they did any kind of useful inspection with a road test, you burnt at least a half hour of their time. I don't think $70 is unreasonable for a walk in. If you were regular customer you might get a pass on some of those deals but I never expect it.

The upselling always annoys me. If they find something legitimately wrong in the course of the inspection, I want to know about it and if it's something critical I'll likely have it fixed while it's there but trying to con you into an oil change just because with some lame excuse about the oil breaks down is just plain crooked.

Kevin
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 08:10 PM

3/4 cam, except beefier. Duh.

haha
Posted By: BSharp

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 08:25 PM

Technically, that's a 3/4 race cam.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 3hundred
Originally Posted by Hrtbkr

It was news to me as well. I thought brake fluid contamination was a concern primarily because of ABS modules, figured it was because of moisture. Apparently that's not as much a concern anymore. The copper comes from the brake lines indicating a breakdown of the brake fluid additive package. Didn't even know it had a additive package.

Diagnostic fees wasn't even a term when I was a mechanic in the 1970's. Never heard of it until the 1980's. The quoted fee sounds high to me to put it on a lift, pull the wheels and drums if any. 20 minutes work? I think my record for 4 tires and balance was ~ 45 minutes back in the day.

The shops attitude when the work was declined was the only thing that bothered me. That's not how you treat a customer. It's not like the pads were gone and riding on metal or tires down to the cord. Nothing imminently dangerous here.

Yep...brake fluid changes are recommended service by most manufactures

You can certainly pull wheels in 20 minutes or so....but what if work is required....another 20-30 min. writing an estimate. Now you're at an hour...$100 at a lot of places. Then the customer declines the work. You doing all that for free? Doubtful

We have no idea of pad/rotor/drum/caliper/hose condition...nobody ever looked...the inspection was declined.

Here's a thought...customer brings the car in with a brake concern, road test verifies the concern. Shop says "oh it'll likely go away" Sends the customer on his way and the brakes fail......who do you think will be on the hook? In this case the shop's recommendation was a complete brake inspection. The customer declined to have his brakes looked at...now he goes down the road and something happens.... the shop has something to stand on....remember this is all on the repair order. It's called CYA.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 10:16 PM

I wonder if anybody that replied to this post ever had to fill out the new safety inspection sheets yet that have become mandatory in most larger shops and dealerships. Some repair shops call it the "free" 49 point safety inspection and being flat rate guess how much I get paid for this "free" inspection that the dealer doesn't charge for shruggy $0.0 dollars. I am required to do this inspection on every car that comes in even if it is a simple recall or ECM re-flash to customize your door locks.
This: Here's a thought...customer brings the car in with a brake concern, road test verifies the concern. Shop says "oh it'll likely go away" Sends the customer on his way and the brakes fail......who do you think will be on the hook? In this case the shop's recommendation was a complete brake inspection. The customer declined to have his brakes looked at...now he goes down the road and something happens.... the shop has something to stand on....remember this is all on the repair order. It's called CYA.
People leave the dealership after a small service even a simple oil change and something happens on the way home they will be back and if you don't have the "free" document saying the car was fine when it left guess what ... The tech that looked at it is now liable for it. CYA is an understatement in this litigious society we live in.
You used to be able to get by on $1000 dollars woth of tools to do your job but now that just won't cut it anymore. The costs to run shop anymore will break the independents now in this climate so give them a break and pay for the damn inspection so you can feel safe.
This is the end of my "repair shop customer venting" argue

Gus beer

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/05/20 10:27 PM

Damn 4g ..... I GUS you picked the wrong biz to get into ... pity tonguue
Posted By: twobolts

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/06/20 03:23 AM

https://youtu.be/o81GjHj4z4s

Don’t know if the link works, but check out stripdip. Pretty good video explanation of copper in brake lines. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and degrades, gives you a soft pedal and moisture in system causes corrosion. When was the last time your brake fluid was flushed? Sounds like a professional operation to me. Maybe shop didn’t explain properly or customer didn’t understand? Just because the shop was recommending a service doesn’t mean they were trying to rob you. Call any properly trained professional. plumber, electrian,doctor etc to diagnose a problem.. time is money

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/06/20 03:55 AM

2b .... that linky works fine ... but the apimp selling his snake oil seems to TOTALLY FORGET about the biggest offender of corrosion... that’s moisture.... tsk

I’ll let the guys who have done WAY MORE brake jobs than me handle this for awhile ..,, I’ve been up nearly 18 hours.
Posted By: twobolts

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/06/20 05:56 AM

StripDip has been around for a long time. The copper content is an indicator of how much moisture is in the system.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/06/20 02:31 PM

Come on guys, give me a brake! (Pun intended)

When I said car is “perfect,”.... I obviously meant in a relative sense, not absolute. No car is truly perfect, even off the showroom floor (if you want to take it that far).

“Beefy cam?” Just a quick expression. It’s been nearly 20 years and I no longer have that particular Challenger, so I forget the cam specs.

The slight right front wheel slight bass pulsing sound before stop was only noticed when driving there (two city miles), after sitting tarped d for six or so weeks. I just wanted a quick visual check of the one wheel.

As mentioned, that appears to have gone away after several more miles.

As to the repair shop issue at hand, I appreciate all the input.

My trusted mechanic shop closed (retired), so I was used to his top shelf service for many years.

All that being said, I still feel my chain was being pulled.

First clue I should have picked up on;

They wouldn’t let me wait for a simple emissions check, even by appointment.

They insisted I drop it off four several hours for their free multi-point car inspection. whistling
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/06/20 03:58 PM

And your wait likely had less to do with the inspection and more to do with scheduling, stuff backs up. But if you are determined to find fault, you will.

I occasionally hear a commercial on the radio talking about defending your reputation online. They have a customer troll about how the place told him they would shrink his bill and he bitches that the writing on the bill is small enough as it is and he can barely read it, he doesn't want it any smaller. That sounds like this thread.

Don't want to get "ripped off" do your own work then come here and talk about the competency of your new mechanic.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/06/20 05:21 PM

Come on guys, give me a brake! (Pun intended)

When I said car is “perfect,”.... I obviously meant in a relative sense, not absolute. No car is truly perfect, even off the showroom floor (if you want to take it that far).

“Beefy cam?” Just a quick expression. It’s been nearly 20 years and I no longer have that particular Challenger, so I forget the cam specs.

The slight right front wheel slight bass pulsing sound before stop was only noticed when driving there (two city miles), after sitting tarped d for six or so weeks. I just wanted a quick visual check of the one wheel.

As mentioned, that appears to have gone away after several more miles.

As to the repair shop issue at hand, I appreciate all the input.

My trusted mechanic shop closed (retired), so I was used to his top shelf service for many years.

All that being said, I still feel my chain was being pulled.

First clue I should have picked up on;

They wouldn’t let me wait for a simple emissions check, even by appointment.

They insisted I drop it off four several hours for their free multi-point car inspection. whistling

Wouldn't let you wait for a 10 minute job? A lot of things going on with that shop that would make me want to just call someone else. I have to wonder if they would have called you with a $1200 brake job estimate, and by the way, we have your brakes all apart and lying all over the floor for the "inspection".
Posted By: therocks

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/06/20 07:42 PM

We used to do frre brake checks at the shop.Then it came that we spent 3 to 4 hours a day at times doing free work.Then we got oh my buddy can do the brakes for nothing.So we started charging 20 bucks This was like 15 years ago.If they needed brakes we took the charge off.As said some places do oversell.I always tried not to push anything not needed.Alsao as stated people want free.Like diag time.Lets see back then scanner was over 2K plus upgrades Hads to have time to scan then have All Data etc Let alone the tech I have like 40K in tools that I had to buy.Yeah i liked when people said its nice the sahop buys you all those tools.Let alone they think iof labor is say 80 bucks an hour thats what you make.Ask how many would spend that much on stuff for work let alone testing for certs,school to keep up with new stuff etc.Oh yeah stand in water,snow,in and out hot and cold burn yourself cut your self etc.All for what less that 20 bucks and hour and it was lots less>Rocky

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/06/20 07:50 PM

A 1200$ brake job .... paying the grunt that does it 20 beans per hour ? eek

Something is wrong with THAT PICTURE !!

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/06/20 08:57 PM

I have learned people will take anything you're giving away for free just as long as you are willing to do it. And once you do it, they expect it.

An oil change should be considered a service. Maybe include a "free" tire rotation if you want. Just make sure the time is covered. A quick glance at the brakes and tires while doing that. Look around for leaks, stuff falling off, belts, lights, while the oil is draining and while you're adding oil and topping fluids. It really doesn't need to be an hours long production dissecting everything. People soon figure out whether you're looking out for them or for yourself.

An in depth inspection is offered at some places for a set price, maybe an hour. Often it is sold as a used car inspection service or a Spring get the car ready service.

Doing annual inspections are when you really look for needed stuff you can sell, especially since it HAS to be fixed.

Two of the best pieces of advice I've received is "If you're good at what you do, don't do it for free." And "Sometimes you're better off firing a customer." The 19.95 oil change - free inspection places are a magnet for tight wads, cheapskates & FSA types who want someone to give them everything. They go to the auto parts for the "free diagnostic" that ain't worth spit, buy the part and expect you to install it for $10. Then want you to fix it for free when it doesn't fix the car. I know all about that from both the shop and the auto parts side of it..

This guy started out fine. OP was comfortable with the guy. Then the guy went into "get as much as I can out of this guy while the getiin's good" mode, tried to BS him and ended up screwing himself. Do good work, get paid for it, don't BS the customer or take advantage of them. If they are a regular and not a PIA an occasional favor for goodwill is fine. And if "Mr. I did you a favor and brought my own parts" shows up, send him down the road.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/06/20 09:06 PM

Well, at any rate...

Drove the car on some errands today.

No brake issues whatsoever. Must've wore off whatever was causing it.

I've had a few cars in the past that (Saturns, in particular) were notorious for that... Some brake sounds upon initial drive after sitting outside, then nothing after a few miles.

On the oil issue, monitor reads 95% good. Not that it's the most reliable thing....but still.

Need to find a more reliable place, I know they're out there! up

Yes, in response to some who posted suggesting "If I don't like it, do it myself." I'm afraid those days are long gone with age... wrench
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/06/20 09:14 PM

And if "Mr. I did you a favor and brought my own parts" shows up, send him down the road.

That guy is usually as bad as "my car is perfect guy." Sometimes, he's even the same guy. biggrin
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/06/20 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
And if "Mr. I did you a favor and brought my own parts" shows up, send him down the road.

That guy is usually as bad as "my car is perfect guy." Sometimes, he's even the same guy. biggrin

I did that with my first car, 45 years ago. U-Joints, had no idea that what I was doing was unethical.
Posted By: topside

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/07/20 12:45 AM

What's funny about bringing your own parts is that 3 guys here - trans/diff guy, exhaust/muffler guy, and my mechanic guy - usually suggest I do that.
Bear in mind that I do frequent business with them, and take care of them for stuff like racking the car for a look - $20 or a 12-pack of beer - and refer customers to them.
I communicate that I know they need a profit margin on parts, and often enough slide 'em either extra money or beers (beer is like clean money around here).
They know I'm fairly picky, but I pay whatever the bill is and don't grind them on cost or time...I figure it's just being respectful.
Bottom line is to establish a relationship with whoever works on your stuff, and things almost always go well, win/win.
Posted By: jcastle1

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/07/20 04:13 AM

I have learned people will take anything you're giving away for free just as long as you are willing to do it. And once you do it, they expect it.

An oil change should be considered a service. Maybe include a "free" tire rotation if you want. Just make sure the time is covered. A quick glance at the brakes and tires while doing that. Look around for leaks, stuff falling off, belts, lights, while the oil is draining and while you're adding oil and topping fluids. It really doesn't need to be an hours long production dissecting everything. People soon figure out whether you're looking out for them or for yourself.

An in depth inspection is offered at some places for a set price, maybe an hour. Often it is sold as a used car inspection service or a Spring get the car ready service.

Doing annual inspections are when you really look for needed stuff you can sell, especially since it HAS to be fixed.

Two of the best pieces of advice I've received is "If you're good at what you do, don't do it for free." And "Sometimes you're better off firing a customer." The 19.95 oil change - free inspection places are a magnet for tight wads, cheapskates & FSA types who want someone to give them everything. They go to the auto parts for the "free diagnostic" that ain't worth spit, buy the part and expect you to install it for $10. Then want you to fix it for free when it doesn't fix the car. I know all about that from both the shop and the auto parts side of it..

This guy started out fine. OP was comfortable with the guy. Then the guy went into "get as much as I can out of this guy while the getiin's good" mode, tried to BS him and ended up screwing himself. Do good work, get paid for it, don't BS the customer or take advantage of them. If they are a regular and not a PIA an occasional favor for goodwill is fine. And if "Mr. I did you a favor and brought my own parts" shows up, send him down the road.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.

EXACTLY!

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/07/20 05:25 AM

I knew a guy who runs (ran now maybe) a back alley shop the people in the hood would take their stuff to. He had an account at a parts store. One deal he liked to pull, customer would bring their car in for a no start. Shop guy would diagnose it, maybe it would need a fuel pump. Shop guy calls the parts store, verifies price and availability and says to bill it to him and the customer will come get it and pay for it.

Customer retrieves and pays for new pump ($3-400 usually) and takes it back to the shop. Shop guy tells the customer that he'll call him when it's done.

Shop guy will go to the junk yard and buy a fuel pump or whatever he needed to get the car going. 10 or 20 bucks. Put the used fuel pump in the car and get it going. Bring the new pump back to the store with his receipt, tell them he didn't need it and get his 3 or $400 back. Cash. Did that all the time with all kinds of parts.

It's a jungle out there.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/07/20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by jcastle1

EXACTLY!

You nailed it very well! up
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/08/20 10:12 AM

Unless there is a real issue, a brake inspection in my world is look at the pads and verify no leaks. Done. A lot of the time it can be done without removing the wheels. Unless it has a real concern - pulling, pulsating, losing fluid, lights on, park brake hanging or something obvious - I'm not going to spend a lot of time tearing stuff apart to look at it.

The brake fluid I get. It does get nasty and degrade. However, that would be done at the same time as a brake service/pad change.

Again, I would have been done with this guy early on. I would have pushed the car off the lot before letting him do any work. Don't BS me.

I’m guessing your world doesn’t involve working on other’s vehicles, where actual safety is a concern?

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/08/20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff

I’m guessing your world doesn’t involve working on other’s vehicles, where actual safety is a concern?

Haven't been on a line in awhile, but I don't recall people ever wanting to pay me to take stuff apart just to look at it beyond maybe pulling drums. Not without having a specific concern. Or doing a pad or shoe replacement and the stuff is already apart.

Been screwing with junk with wheels for other people since 1974.
Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/09/20 01:55 AM

I just went through getting reamed by a shop.

I had this 1992 Caprice and the original rear end was howling. I installed a new police car rear axle with a better ratio. Ever since the wap I was chasing a driveline vibration. Long story short, After doing everything I could, I asked a friend who is a mechanic where to bring it. He suggested a local driveline shop and he sends all of his driveline work there.

I made an appointment and dropped the car off. I wrote a note about everything that was done so far and that if the repair goes over $350.00, to call me first.

First week: no word and when i called they were going over everything I already did.
Second week: no call and when I called they Did somethings and still not fixed
Third week: no call, when I called they talked about the pinion angle was off, ordered new control arms and the bill was $650. Shocked but still ok with it, I said go ahead
Fourth week: no call, I called and they said car is still vibrating and they are throwing in the towel. They were "not charging me for labor" and parts only at $950.00. I almost dropped the phone and started yelling at him. He said they went through the entire rear axle and have four weeks into the car.

I paid the bill on my unfixed car and I put it up for sale the next day. I couldn't even look at the car anymore. I will do everything in my power to cost them tripple that amount in lost sales.

If you are an honest mechanic, I will bend over backwards to be an awesome customer. Any MN residents want to know what shop it was PM me.
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/09/20 03:49 AM

Regarding that shop, Garret:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0
Posted By: charge70

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 05/09/20 10:58 AM

In our shop,if I'm doing a LOF I will do a quick visual brake check.That means looking thru the wheels at pad wear. If the customer wants the brakes checked with wheels off or drums pulled,then the clock starts.If we find it needs brakes and the customer wants them done now,we will do the inspect at no charge.If they decline repairs,they pay for the time.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 04/04/22 08:58 PM

Spam is not a good way to start on Moparts... whistling
Posted By: A12

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 04/04/22 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer
Spam is not a good way to start on Moparts... whistling

That's all it is down
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 04/05/22 12:39 AM

I find complaining about a shops policies always brings out people who defend the shop so I wouldn't get wound up if somebody does.

Last time I had my wife's car in for the second alternator replacement. Original one died after 120K miles. The replacement only made it 20K and died. It happens, parts fail so no biggie. They replaced it for free because it was less than 2 years old. I had heard stories about the new management so I charged and tested the battery before I took it in so they couldn't say it needed a battery too, but they texted me and said they wanted to replace the battery because it was "heavily discharged" for only $340. I said no, and that battery is still going after 3 years.

As for the copper in the brake lines, that is a new one. Copper in the brake pads is one I have heard about. Some places decided that copper in the brake pads could be toxic so they passed laws limiting copper in the pads. Cali is the only one I know of but I'm sure there are other states. Copper has been in brake and clutch pads for probably over a century and nobody has a confirmed case of copper exposure to brake pads because they were used on vehicles. Maybe manufacturing them but not from using them or replacing them.

If you were concerned about the copper in the pads then I would replace them when they wore out with copper free pads but for me not any sooner than when they wore out, unless the thought bothers you.

At least you spent a necessary $24 to find out where not to go. up
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 04/05/22 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by BSharp
Technically, that's a 3/4 race cam.

No, no. no it's a v6 cam in a v8, lol
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 04/05/22 02:27 AM

They prefer you to bring your own parts these days for obvious reasons, or if you want your car back this month.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 04/05/22 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by jcastle1

EXACTLY!

EXACTLY. boogie
Posted By: TJP

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting - 04/06/22 02:04 AM

There are always two sides to a story. this will be one from the Other side:

A guy brings in an MG with a SBC in with an o/heating problem, engine compartment covered with dried rusty coolant. He claims another local shop piped him and said it was fixed. He says it overheated within 3 miles of the shop and that after getting piped he wasn't going back. So he had it flat bedded home and then to us.
OK. A quick check revealed the fans weren't operating and there were really bad crimps on the wiring. In fact the whole car was a rats nest with a mix of mismatched splices connectors etc. I recommend a complete rewire @ ~5K. he asks can we just fix the fans. I said yes with a disclaimer of liability on any other electrical issues. About 700.00 total with the time already consumed. OK.
So we do a complete rewire of the fan circuit, relay, probe etc. I call him and say it's done. he requests that we put at least 30 miles on it to verify it's no longer O/heating. OK. Call him and say all is well. He says go ahead and clean the engine bay and polish the stained aluminum etc. as he is taking it to a show. We proceed to do so and a quick detail. I email him a 1200.00 invoice. He shows up with his wife throws a tantrum and says 1200.00 to fix a couple of connections is outrageous and stomps out and gets in the car. I actually apologized to his wife for her husbands outrage and said a lady should not have to be subjected to that. She goes out talks to him. Comes back in announces she is a lawyer and they are willing to pay 500.00 IF I sign a pre prepared statement releasing them from any further claims. PO'd yes, worth the time or money to pursue NO. Sign the paper take the check. 2 days later the car is on line for sale at a local classic car dealer. I contact a person who knows the dealership owner quite well. He tells the owner to pick the car up as their inspection revealed electrical issues he does not want to be liable for. Don't know where it went after that.
Fortunately I have only had a few similar incidents in 25 years of business. And with each one I became a little smarter but there are a lot of "slick willies" out there wanting it for nothing.
One of the things I learned not yet mentioned, "The quicker they want it done, the more likely they will be a problem when it was time to pay." BTW we had about 16 hours in the car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums