Got slowed down on this project for a few weeks, but have the gauge cluster all cleaned up and back together and semi-pretty again, ready to re-install. I went with the double-post pieces that Nacho pointed out in a post, to re-route the alternator feed and amp gauge-to-starter relay out of the bulkhead connectors. Got everything under the hood in good shape and in some wire loom, to keep it safe and routed. Took the burned ignition harness connectors apart at the bottom of the steering column and made new connectors for them. I'm running the blue wire to it's own post, so I can run power from it to another spot to power a couple of future add-ons. Also repairing/replacing some bad spots in wires under the dash while it's all out, and have a question for all of you:

There is a welded splice in the harness, under the dash, for several orange wires. These are all for lighting, as far as I can tell. Mice chewed off one wire on driver side of splice, and was the reason I had no dash lights when I first got this truck. I soldered it to the splice, and got my dash lights back. I'd really like to improve my "fix" at this welded splice. I know the welded splice is much better than most other ways to make the connections with these wires in one spot, but would it be a bad idea to cut into this splice and redo it with a butt connector?

Joe