Originally Posted by jcruse64
Originally Posted by jbc426
Anything that uses more than 10 amps gets properly fused and has relays installed on the circuit. I power the relays through a 12V+ distribution lug located in the engine compartment, and that is often the starter relay lug. Of course, the typically 4 gauge cable from the starter relay to the battery continues the current flow from the alternator to the battery.

JBC, this is what I'd like to do, also, except for this; if I've read correctly, running a 12V+ distribution lug off the starter relay lug would mean you're powering these off the battery, and what I've read is that you need to power any added accessories off the alternator, so that you're not discharging the battery any further. I'm not talking about anything factory, like factory radio. Instead, I'm thinking aftermarket stereo amp, a light bar, a CB radio, a power/USB plug. Also not talking about a HEAVY draw item like an add-on, non-PTO winch ( I see where many folks run a 2nd battery under the hood for something like running winches or electric plows).

I run a fused heavy gauge cable directly from my alternators to the starter relay. Consequently, the alternator powers any heavy load. I leave the factory wiring that goes from the alternator, through the bulkhead through the amp gauge and back out through the bulkhead to the battery. I regularly bypass the amp gauge by bolting the two wires onto one of the amp gauge studs.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)