The goal I use when wiring a classic Mopar is to keep any high amperage current drawing devices from passing through the bulkhead connector. I follow a modified Mad Electric method of accomplishing this. I also run a fused properly routed cable from my alternator output terminal to my 12V+ starter relay lug, and I bolt both Amp gauge wires to on side of the amp gauge.

I often install a volt gauge so I can verify charging when the car is running. Your stock amp gauge is ok to use if you can't stand not having your gauge work, but don't run more than your fatory amp load through it. The secondary cable from the alternator to your 12V+ starter lug will keep the high amp 12V+ charging current load out of your bulkhead connector.

Anything that uses more than 10 amps gets properly fused and has relays installed on the circuit. I power the relays through a 12V+ distribution lug located in the engine compartment, and that is often the starter relay lug. Of course, the typically 4 gauge cable from the starter relay to the battery continues the current flow from the alternator to the battery.

Also, I use Marine Grade components for any fusing, relay or wiring applications, high quality electrical tape and heat shrink tubing. I solder all my connections, but properly done crimp connectors work very well too.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)