Originally Posted by jcruse64
Looking through both the FSM and the Classic Car Wiring diagrams, the welded splice off the alternator feed is made on the cab side of the bulkhead connector. On the DodgeCharger.com forum thread, it looks like user PocketThunder's Charger is the same way; the welded splice is on the inside of the vehicle.

Yes. That's the norm on the older cars. A welded splice inside that acts as the power distribution point.
I just wanted to be sure that's what your truck had.

If I'm reading his posts correctly, he cut and capped the original alternator feed wire on the engine side of the firewall, where it would have gone INTO the bulkhead connector. He also capped off the other side of the original feed inside the car under the dash where come OFF the bulkhead connector. He left the other end of this wire ON the amp gauge where it was always connected. Along with it is his new Alternator wire to the amp gauge, both of those on the same post. If I see this correctly, in this way, he has power to his key switch, light switch, and fuse box, because the new alternator wire is now connected to whats left of the old alternator wire on the "black wire" post of the amp gauge. Am I seeing that correctly? Is that a good idea if the original alternator wire bulkhead connectors are not safe to leave in place?

I think you are interpreting it correctly.
I don't see any particular advantage or disadvantage to leaving the original alternator output wire vs. removing it. And if it is removed, I think leaving the original segment to the connector is pretty safe. But if you wanted to remove it and tape it, you could do that too. I'd wrap it up against the harness so it didn't flop around.

[img]http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=feg5ibvs5qqmhsv7qgkli8n8c2&action=dlattach;topic=33574.0;attach=264330;image[/img]
On your diagrams, Mattax, I'm guessing that the FL on the alternator side that I see there are for instances when something screws up with the alternator, such as with the "fried harness wires. Why??" thead??

Which diagram are you looking at? The optional wiring ones earlier in thead?

And yes, alternator internally grounding failure occassionally happens. Also sometime a wrench touches the exposed alternator batt terminal while the battery is hooked up. Actually should be a insulating partial cover over it - but many cars no longer have them.

Last edited by Mattax; 10/27/19 08:54 PM.