Originally Posted by PhillyRag
Originally Posted by BloFish
My vote for thread of the year!

No really. But my "take" on this is "Where/When does it all end?"
Or does it really?
It's very nice.interesting to have/acquire/view this archival info.
Those old factory pics are fascinating.

But if the "Hobby" comes to any final type of consensus of "proper" cotter pin bending;
are all owners of "restored" suppose to redo theirs? Then what's next?
Establishing "Degrees-Of-Slopiness" to mimic factory correctness.

Hey: More power to those whom endeavor to engage in the "correctness arena".
Is there a "Light" at the end of the tunnel?
Or is it the ever expanding universe: where there IS no end!

Good points!

I’ve been doing this since I was 14 and it’s been both a hobby and a job for me as I ran a resto shop for 15 years. I have thousands of original photos of original cars I’ve documented over the years but I never stop learning so no-there IS no end- as you said.
I don’t run my shop full time like I used to, but am doing an OE restoration on a unique car that belongs to my dad. For this car I’m striving to get all the details right as a challenge to myself and to continue a tradition of excellence for those that appreciate it. There will be factory flaws, all dated parts, visible primer lines, factory brown grease in the suspension joints, tons of nos assembly line parts-even nos tires I just acquired-because that’s the way it’s supposed to be. In the end it will make it more valuable knowing what’s been invested.

On the other hand I’m building a pro touring charger for myself that breaks all the rules so that’s my relief from the exhaustion of an OE car.