I don't have any experience with the newer systems.
But I went to try and change a stock car over to efi, just to make it more reliable.
I have no intentions of hotrodding it, so I think we are in a similar boat.
I did go on the cheap, and overall still spent about the same amount as one of the kits out now.

Here are a few things I learned that might help you decide.

If you are not trying to get every single HP out of your build, spark control is a waste of time and money.
Just one extra thing to tinker with, that a regular vacuum advance distributor(still electronic) would do just fine.

A surge tank is another way to go instead of an efi gas tank, or having a custom tank built or cutting up your existing one.
However, it creates complexity. In my case, there is no mechanical carb pump to feed it, and it requires I have 2 electric pumps instead of just 1.
While there are other choices like the holley hydromat(which recommends replacment every 10 years,) the aeromotive efi pump kit with the foam, or having a sump or baffels welded into your existing tank, I think I would go for the custom tank built for efi instead.

There are several systems out there.
Each with its own unique set of issues. however for a straight stock application, I don't really think you can go wrong with any of them.
you really have to look at support for your decision.
How likely is that company going to be around in 10 years when some part fails.
I always assume the worst. So I look to see how common the replacable parts are going to be.
What o2 sensor do they need you to have. Is it proprietary, or is it a common off the shelf one.
what fuel pump is it?
did they do some odd connector or is it the standard for that part?
The only thing you have to worry about after that is the ecu.

Now if you read the board regularly, you will see people here are a bit fickle.
Each time a new efi product comes out, it is the best. Till it isn't.

Today it is holley, 6 months ago it was Fi tech. 6 months before that it was FAST Efi.

It kind of goes in cycles.
As more people use them, more problems come up.
But if you pay attention, it is for the people doing more than stock stuff generally, not just the plain swap from a carb.

I have seen the same for what I did. As you add more things the efi computer needs to do, it just adds complexity for more things to not work together, or fail.

My recommendation is to make it as simple as possible. Keep with 1 system of stuff, with good support in case you need it.
Sometimes simple means spending a bit to make it simple.
So you buy the efi tank or mod yours.
you get the returnless system if they make it. or create a short return run like corvettes do.

Good luck.