Originally Posted by DaveRS23

You guys make it sound like cars couldn't run at elevation until EFI came along. And now you say that any change in the weather forces us to re-tune. Just a wee bit of exaggeration I believe. Besides, the need for altitude adjustment affects relatively few of us anyway. Again, not a real issue for the vast majority.

That's not it at all.

Hard core carb guys fighting for that last little bit will mess with the tune trying to make it as good as possible for each round. It is necessary? No. Do guys do it to get better performance? Yes.

I've driven all over this country on a carb and know it can be done without opening the hood. I've also done it with EFI and I greatly prefer that route.

Retrofit EFI is not in it's infancy. It's well proven and will continue to grow as technology advances.

Yes, EFI is generally more expensive than a carb. However, you can get more consistent performance and road manners out of the EFI. Not only is there a good chance of better mpg in all operating environments you engine will last longer without washing fuel down the cylinders on cold starts and driving.

There are good reasons factory EFI engines seem to have less cylinder wear than carbed engines. Remember when engines were getting a bit long in the tooth at 75k and were thought of as worn out at 100,000 miles? Kinda funny how so many new engines still have awesome compression and leak down numbers despite showing 200,000 miles or more.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon