Ok, my
You really need to make a decision on what era of style your going to be working towards. Sounds like you like the moderen 90s era, which is OK. But, if that is the direction your going, you need to follow it all the way through. You can use the modern drivetrain with any style, but that color will make some things seem strange. Most things like latches, handles, and trim can be replaced with a more modern version that can be matched to each other. When I built my 35, all the handles, latches, lock parts, switches and many other things came off the same car, so everything looked the same.
If you start shaving the trim, you need to shave most or all of it. Shaved hinges while still having the door handles and hood trim look goofy to me. Shave the hinges, and door handles but leave the hood trim looks like a guy that couldn't figure out what he wanted. If you shave it, the valve cover inserts might look tacky.

I understand there are no rules with these cars, that is why I like them, but a guy ought to be consistant. Another thing to keep in mind, once you get that paint on it, anything not perfect will stand out like a sore thumb.

Usually, cars designed by committee are pretty plain, do yourself a favor, look at cars like yours, see what you like, what you don't like, and what you want to spend your money on. www.carnuts.com has a bunch of pictures of 30s Mopars, look at Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, and Desoto from about 37-39 to get basic idea of a style you like. In fact, most brands mid to late 30s had the same basic body style as you car. Most styles can be adapted to your car from a similar body style. Gene