On Sunday I took my 7yr old on a road trip mission to get a free (I couldn’t show up empty handed- brought a case of adult sodas 😉) trans case from near picatinny arsenal in NJ from a generous moparts member. He said did I want a pile of internal parts to go with it so I said sure of course! Turns out the case was exactly what I need- 1977 big block 4wd dodge truck #s on it, but the assembeled tailshaft is post 66 pre-71. I think the rest of a matching trans is pretty much all there- and it’s got two 4 gear planetarys & a high groove 4 clutch front drum. The tailshaft looks clean except the output shaft that sticks out of the front is surface rusty. It’s missing servos, one band, both band linkages, and the shifting side of the valve body. I think I could build it up pretty easily after confirming the gears and splines are all from the same trans. He threw in the Munroe book- wow! I had the Tom Hand book already and the second book really cleared up some stuff and it’s definitely worth having & using both. yella71 is a great dude!

My local buddy that has a pile of cars in his backyard said he might have one I can have and I asked him for a phone pic of the PK#. He said he did find it in his stash but it was dark and dirty he couldn’t het the #s. I said for zero dollars no need to make him do any work I would come get it and I can wash it.

PK4028412
1977 Chrysler passenger car
400 std. 2 barrel motor non HP
Casting date Weds Dec. 1st 1976

Perfect swap for my internals out of the busted cases- '76-77 are all the same spline counts & planetary gear angles etc. '78 was 1st year lockup converter. Mine was also a '77 so I can clean this one up, record the endplay, disassemble both and have my pick of the best parts and spares. I’m gonna keep the extra 77 case and I’m happy to keep the 80% of a HD early set of guts but if somebody needs em PM me!

Anyway I’ll get around to cleaning my garage into an operating room this week and try to find time to pull the broken trans and start taking these suckers down.

Thanks for the help fellas and I’ll post autopsy pics in my carnage thread when I get em!