Howdy!

I posted a thread about my recent trans carnage- I shattered a stock slip yoke and took out my tailshaft and trans case. I called A&A trans (board sponsors) and ordered solid 1350 universals and billet steel trans and pinion yokes.

Now I’m looking at options for my next 727 build. The numbers on my current broken trans say it’s out of a ‘77 2wd pickup truck. I would ideally like to find a similar trans so that I can pick the healthiest parts from both cores to use. I’m looking stuff up in my books and in the tech archives and I think I have a good idea of what to look for but I’m posting now to get more experienced opinions.

If my info is correct my valvebody will work in any post ‘65 727. My oil pump and front drum will only work in a late trans- 76+? And my planets and forward clutch will not interchange at a certain year down right- output spline change?

Am I correct that all my guts will work in any post 65 case + tail? I want to stay with direct interchange for all or most parts if possible though. I don’t really care if I have kickdown or neutral safety switch- my ‘54 has NSS in the slap shifter and didn’t come with reverse lights.

I want to use my current B&M neutral balance non lockup converter- it was working great, along with my clutch drums, planets, shafts, clutches & steels. I might play with a higher numerical kickdown lever but I dunno.

Any input on what years I should be looking for? I can get a good ‘67 core but I don’t know how much of my guts could swap and if the planetary gears and clutch drums are different (oil passages, oil pump, splines?) then I’d have less parts to pick from and no spares if the new core turns out to be beat up.

Thanks Moparts!

Radar

Last edited by radar; 06/06/19 01:07 PM.