Originally Posted by dvw
Why not just repair the on that broke?
Doug

That’s pretty much what I need to do- I need a case, tail, output shaft & matching parts- possibly a governor, park stuff, etc. Buying those ‘a la carte’ will quickly exceed the cost of a whole used trans. And if I find a similar year I can even see if any of its parts are healthier than mine.

Either way I need to build a whole trans and I wouldn’t use anything from the sprag back in mine. So all I have here for sure is a non lockup converter, ‘77 clutches, drums, bands, servos, pump, struts, and my modded valve body with deep pan & filter. I want to use those parts to ‘fix’ my trans but if I can’t find a compatible core it is actually cheaper to just buy a complete rebuild kit for whatever I can get a hold of- unless I end up needing planetary gears or some expensive part that’s worn out. That’s why a trans that my parts swap into makes a new core less of a gamble that way as long as the tailshaft contents are good I have my pick of two sets of parts.

I’m just studying my books and looking at date interchanges on parts for sale and asking questions here to try and educate myself on the interchangeability of all the 727 guts cases and valve bodies.