Originally Posted By BradH
Originally Posted By willie_68coronet
Originally Posted By BradH
Cool deal. Nothing broke and you learned some important stuff, too.

Was the QF 950 out of the box? The air-fuel #s look pretty stable, although trending toward the richer side.

Exactly why I did this. A big weight was lifted off me that nothing broke lol.

Yeah pretty much out of the box. We didn't even do a jet change. Just adjusted the 4 corner screws. I bought a QFT 1050 originally. When talking to Dwayne over the phone he said it was too big. So I bought the 950 body and swapped it. I plugged the emulsion so 2 out of 5 are blocked though. I think it's botom, middle and top open like a old school holley double pumper. The cruise test on the dyno under light load showed it considerably richer in the 10.3 2900 rpm to 11.7 range 3000. So a afr gauge in the car will need to be used and much more learning lol.

Can't tell from picture... are those black 5-emulsion metering blocks or red 4-emulsion blocks?

When I hear people talking about duplicating the early Holley emulsion config, that typically means going back to 2 holes, for example the #1 & #3 or #4 on the 5-hole block, or #1 & #3 on a 2-hole block.

I agree with Dwayne that a big-venturi downleg 4150 would make things worse for a combination like yours. When Dominic mentioned improvements w/ a 1050 Dominator, that's not really an apples-to-apples comparison since the Dominator is going to have different venturi-to-throttle bore sizes & ratios, different booster types (annular) and booster signal, etc.

Still not sure why carb companies claim to have both "1050" 4150s and "1050" 4500s (I'm not talking about BLP's BX4X Xtreme hybrid) when they're clearly not going to flow the same.

You're right. It's been awhile since I looked at the blocks. They're red. bottom is open second is plugged. 3rd is open and the top is plugged. Yeah a dominator would be a diffrent beast to learn for me. I wanted to keep this engine "basic". Maybe a 4500 carb in the future but I need to walk before I run. I am right there with you on the 1050 though. Dwayne said too big and I didn't second guess that at all and went with his recomendation on the 950.

'68 Coronet 500 w/ Indy EZ-1 headed 446, 727 trans, 9" rear
First day at the track with SUV street tires and no traction: 1.688 60', 7.24 @ 101.79 in the 1/8 mile

Great customer service from: DominicThumper Carbs, B3 racing engines, Porter Racing Engines, A-1 torque converter's, Quick Performance, Racer Brown Cams, R&R Performance, Manton pushrods