You gave me a list of things to try last night in you post at 7:35 PM, and of course, as I said, I would try them today in the daylight. This morning at 9:15 AM, you gave me pretty much the same list but letting me know with the pentastar connector off I did not have to pull the negative lead off the coil. I made a copy of those things to try and went down to the car. With the pentastar connector already off I tried the first set of questions. With the jumper on the coil negative post and first key in run then start position I got no spark from the coil wire dist connector at 1/4 inch from ground. Hooked everything up, pulled the zigzag connector apart, key in run then start and there was my spark at the coil wire end and your post said,". . .if it sparks then the dist pickup is the issue but with you showing continuity on it I don't think it is the pickup. . ." I thought WOW! I was so sure everything was pointing to the ECU. But then I thought back to the opening sentence on your post from last night, "Check the reluctor gap (takes 5 seconds)." For me, crawling back there takes more than 5 seconds, but sure enough, the gap was just about as bad as when I took the dist out of the box. I set it back to .008, put the cap on, plugged everything back together and it is running great again! I know when I tightened that screw the first time I did so till it felt like I might cam out the head and I did the same thing today. As I said earlier, I have a Corvair, actually two, so I have had lots of time under a dist cap and don't recall having a plate move out like that. Maybe I just didn't get it tight enough; it may happen again. But it is running once again (I did charge the battery up) and I sure appreciate everyone's help. I do have one small question. It looks like the pentastar connector and its mating jack are designed to have a screw down through the center to keep them from separating. I know there wasn't one in the hardware package in the kit, just wondered if it is suppose to have one.
Thanks again