Well, that's the whole point here is that I am unsure about what would be best, just weighing pros and cons. There's a lot of variables that are factoring into the decision.

Started out thinking I would be getting a truck but when I really put some thought into it I realized some things that were not so appealing.

I drive a LOT, like 25,000 miles a year. Just have to justify to myself whether its worth driving a truck that much as a regular car when not being used for it's intended purpose.

As far as the 18 mpg, I was just repeating what I read on Edmunds. They did a long term test on a 2014 Ram Ecodiesel.

"...Towing was a big deal for us, and the logbook entries associated with towing amount to 9,307 miles. Our Ram was pulling a trailer 19 percent of the time it was moving, and quite possibly more if the logbook didn't get the proper notation every time.

The trailer in question was typically a car hauler hauling a car, not a blunt-faced camper, so the fuel economy didn't sag as much as it might have. Still, 6,000 pounds is 6,000 pounds. Those 9,307 towing miles came and went at an average of 18.1 mpg.

Here is a summary of the usual stats:

EPA MPG Rating: 22 Combined (19 City/27 Highway)
Average Lifetime MPG, all miles: 21.8 (4.6 gallons per 100 miles)
Lifetime MPG, towing excluded: 22.9 (4.4 gallons per 100 miles)
Lifetime MPG, towing only: 18.1 (5.5 gallons per 100 miles)
Best Fill MPG: 27.9 (20.7 when towing)
Worst Fill MPG: 17.4 (15.1 when towing)
Best Range: 700.2 miles
Final Odometer: 50,084 miles..."

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500