Originally Posted By dartman366
Originally Posted By gregsdart
Just a guess on what will please you for driveability; it sounds like a stock configuration 10 3/4 Mopar converter, set up to act just like a factory original yet be built for the abuse a 540 can deliver is what will work well for you. I used exactly that converter behind a 535 cube wedge with a 590 cam in it, and it stalled plenty high yet was tight enough to not flash a lot higher at a light throttle application. If you take the K factor into consideration, it will give you an idea of what it will do in the car. Those converters were used behind 340s ,383s, and street hemis I believe. The stall behind a street hemi was about 2800 from what I have read, and 2400 behind a 340. That same converter stalled quite a bit higher behind my 535, like mid 3,000 or more.
A couple of things make me think this might be the right path for you. You want street drivability over ultimate performance for one. The other is street traction. A motor like that ought to be able to fry the tires at low speeds anyway, so a high stall loose converter just isn't needed much there.
GregI hope you are not inplying that this car is street driven as it hasn't seen the highway or city street in over 20 years, it is a dedicated bracket car, altho I would just love to take a blast thru the neighborhood just once and pizz off the neighbor's down the street. drive
oops. Totally blew that one. I must have read another thread and somehow answered yours! blush
Edit again; that was Hemiragtops post I read,,, rolleyes I'm going to take a nap,,,,

Last edited by gregsdart; 12/24/16 01:55 AM.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky