Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
I agree that dyno testing the motor would be best....... But....... There is no denying that the same motor tested on 10 different dynos would likely have at least a couple where the numbers were pretty far off from the others.
Just think of all the dyno numbers the average converter shop sees.
How many of those are from "happy" dynos?
I still say it's worthwhile to have it done, but I would pick a shop that has a pretty good track record with cars running close to what the dyno numbers say it should run.

You make a very valid point about “happy” dyno’s. I had a customer 2 years ago ask if he could see me calibrate the dyno. I told him **** yes! It was a great idea, I now ask everyone if they would like to watch before we do their engine. When they show up I already have the weights hanging on the dyno, so it only takes 10 mins or so. I also ask if they would like to bring their own weather station and compare theirs to the build in gages on the dyno.

If it was me and knowing what I know now, I would ask the dyno shop to have the calibration weights hanging on the Dyno when I arrived. Any answer other than “yes sir”, would cause me to look elsewhere.

Joe

Without Data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.