Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Not trying to poopoo numbers here. A question was asked and I gave my answer. Generally depending on the dyno and it water tower capacity or where the water comes from they try not to get them to hot. It may take too long to cool down between runs. The dyno this engine was done on from my experience is not a happy dyno by any means. Generally you can out the ole moroso slide rule to the numbers and have a good idea what an engine off of the Pettis dyno will run in the car. Once the car combination is optimized.

Yes it is true you can make a dyno pretty much spit out inflated corrected numbers. That's great for the dyno crowd. Thus why I always say I want to see a quantifiable result from any dyno when it comes to actual ET's. It is pretty standard practice industry wide to make the last pull with things cool off as much as reasonably possible. It does not mena you get 40 more HP buy any means. You will generally see a gain but it aint gonna move that much. Oil temps and water temps are always monitored, or at least shold beon the Dyno.

My engine that was just on the dyno it was hard to get water temps up very high. The reason being the facility uses a city water connection on the dyno. So they have and endless stream of cold wate at their disposal. Just a matter of running the water pump for a few minutes to get the engine temps down. The dyno we used is notoriously stingy for the numbers it kicks out. It is a new DTS/Superflow unit with a state of the art no expense spared dyno room. It has been pretty consistently down on power from where we used to use. And that dyno was considered stingy by some and honest by many. Numbers usually went dead on to the moroso wheel from the old one.

Interesting what you said, I had a 499 that Kenny L built when he was with McCandless. 15.19 compression Indy head, long story short engine ran hot then finally got temp down to leave at 160 degrees, lost a tenth and one haft. Called Kenny, was told that engine had to leave at 200 degrees to build heat in the heads?? Did that and ran the good number again. A little confusing when some say run it cold and some say run it hot??