Originally Posted By RapidRobert
Yes but you need to get it hot (duplicates actual conditions when it acts up) and let the tester set on it/pressurized overnight cuz it is a slow enough leak that it needs time to show itself

Must say, wow! The rate of response in this forum is incredible. I'd have to wait 5 days in the other forums for all these responses. I'm impressed and humbled. Thanks, guys.

I tried this last night. I ran the truck with the pressure tester attached. From cold, the pressure started slowly from zero and rose steadily as it heated up. I killed the engine when it hit 23 PSI because the tester's cap was not going to vent into the overflow tank and it was rising rapidly at that point. Since the pressure was from thermal expansion and not me pumping air pressure, it dropped slowly as it cooled, back to zero. Saw no leaks. I'm not ruling out head gasket, but I saw nothing unstable as I watched it. It was all very linear. I will be pulling plugs next.

Thanks again.

------------------------------

Originally Posted By rth
My system holds pressure in hoses well after it cools.
RTH, my understanding is that it shouldn't hold pressure when it cools. It should actually be a vacuum, which ends up being zeroed by return flow from the expansion tank. So, there should be no hiss when you open the cap, perfectly cold.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 10/26/15 10:13 AM.

2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT
4.7L V8, Automatic (545RFE), RWD
310K mi