Quote:

Quote:

The thing about dyno numbers.......is it is JUST that, a number. You go into a shop, plunk down your hard earned money, tell them you WANT a 1200hp Predator motor, you can about bet they will produce a dyno sheet that says it makes that. But the race track doesn't lie. What does it weigh and how much mph does it run. THAT tells you how much power it makes.

I love reading the knowledge you guys bring to this forum as a non drag racer, from from my observations isn't the race track the biggest liar for actual power?

There are so many posts on different variables that effect track times that even a dyno seems more accurate. Tires, springs,shocks, aero, gearing, transmission, pinion angle, track condition, altitude etc etc all effect it. Even the driver has a ton to do with it, if I was in Al's car it would have the MPH of a slant 6 powered valiant wagon and he would need to replace the drivers seat due to random stains after I was done.

Plus it really discredits other forms of racing, Boatracers572 boat and diablo's pulling truck come to mind. I put my mud racing truck into the wallace calculator one day and my poor 440 was making something like 17 horsepower, and sometimes I don't even make it the full 200 feet.

This is a good point. The thing is, most of us at this power range know how to tune our stuff to the conditions, tire size, roll out, gear etc. It's a matter of if we go through the trouble to find the ideal tune for ET and .90 racing. Guys in comp, or small tire, first to the finish line racing, don't have a choice. If they don't run on the edge, they lose.
Guys like me that put a number on the car and print time slips, don't put as much time into putting the car on the edge, more in tuning it to repeat. In that case, we don't try to put lot's of pass limiting hits the dyno as it is just a number and tuning tool.
Some guys make more runs on the dyno than at the track, even wear out engines figuring out the optimal tune.
Opinions vary, and I don't put a lot of hits on a dyno but use it to get an idea of jetting, timing, RPM range, and stop any leaks.