I worked on the timing and idle a little yesterday. I don't have a dial back timing light so I'm limited until I can get my hands on one. I set the initial timing at about 12*. The marks on the timing cover only go to 10*. I need to find out how much mechanical advance the older MP distributors have in them. I was told the engine probably will need around 15* of initial timing and then to limit the mechanical advance to a max of 35*. Right now the idle is set at 850 in neutral. It idles nice and fires right up when restarting warm. I havn't tried a cold start since the timing and idle have been adjusted.

I noticed that with the engine running, the brakes were awful. There was about an inch of travel and then the pedal was rock hard. I pushed down very hard and heard a loud POP. The pedal went down lower and then felt perfect. Something in the prop valve must have been stuck. I wanted to move the car a little bit to see how the brakes worked. I put it in gear but it wouldn't move. It wanted to but something was keeping it from moving. I jacked up the front wheels and they were locked tight. I pressed down on the pin that sticks out of the top of the prop valve. The pin went down and the car lurched forward a bit. The front brakes were now relieced. It looks like that valve up top is sticking once the brake pedal is pushed. I have to physically press down on the pin to get the brakes to reliece. I'm not sure what I need to do to fix it. I wonder if some EvapoRust dried inside that valve. When that stuff dries, it gets sticky.