I finally finished my installation of a Tremec TKO-600 into my 1970 Dodge Dart. There were some challenging moments, but it went pretty much as expected. We did have to modify the floor and the torsion bar crossmember, but we retained the original tranny support x-member (with some modifications) and kept the original driveline angle. We used stock pedals and the stock firewall hole for the master cylinder pushrod. (It's a hydraulic actuation system for the clutch.) I've honestly only driven it about 30 miles since completed, but I'm very happy with the outcome. The acceleration in first gear is fantastic and it cruises the highway at 2200-2400 rpm with my 3.55 gears.

But the main reason I'm posting this is not to brag (well, maybe just a little) but to share an invaluable resource. As I was diving into this project I had the good fortune to get to know Paul Coffey of Modern Driveline. For many years now Modern Driveline has offered 5 and 6-speed conversion kits for Fords and GM but they've also done some Mopars and are looking to do more. Without Paul's knowledge, help and encouragement I'd probably still be sitting here with a pile of parts scratching my head. If you're looking to put a TKO, a T56, or even a T5 in your Mopar Paul can probably help you. You can find him at paul@moderndriveline.com or 208-453-9800.

By the way, for those that are wondering why I didn't go with something like Passon's 5-speed, there are 2 main reasons. First is cost. It was a lot less expensive to go this route. Second, as a matter of personal preference I wanted the shifter in the middle of the tunnel. I find the stock A-body shifter hump forces me to put my right foot in an uncomfortable position.

Here's a link to a slideshow with a punch of pictures of the install:
http://youtu.be/5n67-K41YkA

8123299-Shifter1.jpg (248 downloads)

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.