Trendz,

I try not to take anything personally. I mostly come to this site to learn, and hopefully I have helped a few others here as well. Please don't take my question as disrespecting what you have done. I'm still waiting to get my junk to the track and hope for high 11s. No expert racer here!

The first converter I had behind my 400/470 was a MP175K unit I had around, and it felt like mush behind my motor. That was annoying so I swapped in a factory 440 converter and I love the responsiveness at a roll, but it is awful rough going into gear, and it really lugs the motor down at idle, making carb tuning more difficult. Somewhere in my future is another converter swap!

This is why I pay attention to "high" torque combos and the converter, particularly for mostly street cars. I really want to get it right next time, and want to fully understand how best to balance the in-drive idle characteristics, the responsiveness, and the ability to actually put power to the ground (as opposed to tire smoke, or massive slippage). I know the torque curve and converter need to be well matched, and I'm curious how others have done it. Your case is an extreme one, but sometimes there are good lessons to learn at the extremes.