Quote:

Trendz,

I understand you would not put a race converter in this, but any converter that would not kill the engine in gear off boost is not going to stall anywhere near 2300 RPM behind the monster you built. I have a factory 440 converter (mopar designated it a 120K) and it instantly flashes to about 3300 RPM behind my NA 400/470 with 490 RWTQ. You may not notice this on a chassis dyno, but with the weight of the vehicle, particularly a old barge, it seems all that energy is just going to go into heat at the converter.

If you had a converter that would stall at 2300RPM with 900 ft/lbs, I don't see how the motor could run in gear off boost (guessing 20 ft/lbs).

Like I said, You need to unlearn things. I never said anything about "stalling" the converter. The truth is, on the trans brake, you can drive right thru the converter if you don't do some power limiting with engine controls. A nice tight large converter works excellent for MOVING a very heavy car with very low numeric gearing and extreme levels of torque. Will it make heat? Yeah. but not like a small race converter. Think of diesel converters and the narrow bands they have to work in.(mines tweaked and it's still governed to only 3200) I have a 1st gen cummins with a goerand non lockup converter.It is as tight as you can imagine, and it is not harsh when going into gear, or does it idle any different than a stocker. I would have loved to try it behind that 470

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"