Moparts

61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project

Posted By: dragula426

61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 02:51 AM

i posted some pics of what myself and a couple friends have been tinkering on over on the projects/survivors page. take a look if interested.

Attached picture 8000461-tom141(Medium).JPG
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 03:20 AM

its evil Christine going thru menopause!!!! watch out world....lots of eye candy going on there too!
Posted By: moparx

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 03:32 AM

hmmmmm..... 600lb.ft. torque should be possible after all
Posted By: Eric

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 03:42 AM

Freakin love it!!!!!
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 05:15 AM

Wow! That is Bad-a$$!!! I never look at the projects/survivors page. Guess I'll have to start.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 05:52 AM

Wow Tony !!

Would asking for more pics be out of line ??

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 05:56 AM

Quote:

Wow Tony !!

i didn't want to clog up this page because it's not really "race". i posted a bunch on the project page though

Attached picture 8000748-drivewayrear.(Small).jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 06:05 AM

Its different.. dont know why you went with the long
ram intake with a turbo set up... but it is different

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 06:14 AM

Quote:

"different" is exactly why. i'm not building this to set the world on fire, and the rams might not be the perfect set up for the optimum results, but they should be fine for what we are trying to do.

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 06:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"different" is exactly why. i'm not building this to set the world on fire, and the rams might not be the perfect set up for the optimum results, but they should be fine for what we are trying to do.

Its gonna turn heads for sure... its cool
EDIT
I like different... thats why I build the stuff I
build... I dont like being like everyone else

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 06:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow Tony !!

i didn't want to clog up this page because it's not really "race". i posted a bunch on the project page though

awesome ..

color combo ??

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 06:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow Tony !!

i didn't want to clog up this page because it's not really "race". i posted a bunch on the project page though [/quote

viper green w/limeygoldishsparlkeyflakeycandy roof & side stripe between trim

awesome ..

color combo ??

viper green w/limeygoldishsparlkeyflakeycandy roof & side stripe between trim

Attached picture 8000792-tom483(Medium).JPG

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 07:53 AM

Nice and subdued ..
Posted By: Twostick

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 08:35 AM

Quote:

Nice and subdued ..

It'll go with that 61 Plymouth twin turbo'd longram wallflower theme...

Kevin

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 03:29 PM

Quote:

Nice and subdued ..

yes sir, you know i like to have my cars blend in with the rest
Posted By: slippery440

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 04:13 PM

Like everyone eles has said THATS BAD ASS !!!!
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 04:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow Tony !!

why not race it, That's pretty dam cool dude.
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 04:47 PM

Love it, cant wait to see it finished!!
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 05:28 PM

LOVE IT! BAD A$$
Posted By: Dragula

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 05:33 PM

Cool...But I am the real Dragula....

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 05:47 PM

Quote:

Cool...But I am the real Dragula....

OG

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 05:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow Tony !!

why not race it, That's pretty dam cool dude.

I will bring it to the track a few times, but it's not race only. I hope it will be street friendly and plan to drive the snot out of it!
Thanks for the compliments!
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 07:07 PM

Love it!!! That's one of the meanest looking frontends mopar ever made
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 07:11 PM

I'm can't be the 1st to say you have a twisted mind
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 07:20 PM

Still got a ways to go on it, but I love the basic theme of it already! You're thinking outside the box, and daring to be different!
Posted By: BobR

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 07:29 PM

Quote:

Must be using blowthrough carbs?
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 07:46 PM

Awesome! Can you imagine how sinister that thing would look gloss black?!

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 08:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Must be using blowthrough carbs?

Yes. Blow thru
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 10:14 PM

Intercooler?

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/17/14 11:42 PM

Quote:

Intercooler?

Not planning on it... Toying with the idea of e85, but not at first. We'll have to see how things work... My friend who is helping me with this turbo stuff dosent think I'll need one at the power level this should be. He's got an international pick up w/ a small Blk chev w/twins that runs very strong& makes great power without an intercooler. Only time will tell...
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 12:55 AM

Love the entire package, very cool build!

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 01:03 AM

The reason I ask, is you have two independant systems on here with no common area... One side could have 5 psi and the other could be at 15. at surge areas you will have two high powered 4 cylinder engines fighting with eachother. Without a common area tuning will be an absolute nightmare. At the least you should combine the turbo outlet tubing at some point. I'm not trying to be a critic, just food for thought. I go along with the common theme in this thread and say I love it!
Posted By: rck850

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 01:21 AM

There is a factory balance tube between both sides. you can see the connection points in the pic.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 01:21 AM

Quote:

Still got a ways to go on it, but I love the basic theme of it already! You're thinking outside the box, and daring to be different!

Sweet Build

Rickster

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 01:40 AM

O.K. Never noticed that before. Takes care of that!
Posted By: dvw

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 02:00 AM

You are Sick Sick Sick. I wouldn't have enough guts. But it is very interesting. The intake looks cool as does the roof line of this body style. I'm not a green guy but I love the metal flake greens you've chosen. Can't wait to see it done.
Doug
Posted By: 80arrow

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 03:27 AM

Looking awesome, Tony
Posted By: jcc

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 03:33 AM

Quote:

Intercooler?

I wonder how much those long rams will act as an intercooler?

And what is the tuning effect of adding additional psi to those long rams, does it move rpm peak tq up or down?
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 05:19 AM

I would guess that you will be using the high beam pockets for cold air intake?i believe I would use a pair of barry grant polished carbs for the look.

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 05:19 AM

Quote:

The reason I ask, is you have two independant systems on here with no common area... One side could have 5 psi and the other could be at 15. at surge areas you will have two high powered 4 cylinder engines fighting with eachother. Without a common area tuning will be an absolute nightmare. At the least you should combine the turbo outlet tubing at some point. I'm not trying to be a critic, just food for thought. I go along with the common theme in this thread and say I love it!

The intakes have a balance tube and the cold side plumbing will be balanced as well

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 05:21 AM

Quote:

I would guess that you will be using the high beam pockets for cold air intake?

That has been considered. Not totally sure yet.

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 05:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Intercooler?

And what is the tuning effect of adding additional psi to those long rams, does it move rpm peak tq up or down?

I dont think the long ram length will help at all
for any cooling... if anything they will hold heat..
E-85 would help cool them SOME

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 05:35 AM

Quote:

Looking awesome, Tony

Thanks Clint!! Slowly picking away at it
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 07:01 AM

HOW long did it take to polish those pipes?! No other brand has cool like that.

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 08:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Intercooler?

The longrams moved the torque peak down NA so it should just be more torque in about the same range. Let's see 900 ft/lbs @ 2500 rpm...

Kevin

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 08:30 AM

Love the build and every aspect of your direction, very cool car! The twin turbo Long Ram will be a torque behemoth!

Have you considered reworking the plenum dividers to bring the torque curve higher like a short ram intake? I have a diagram to show how it's done, pretty easy mod
Posted By: jcc

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 03:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Intercooler?

The longrams moved the torque peak down NA so it should just be more torque in about the same range. Let's see 900 ft/lbs @ 2500 rpm...

Kevin

My reasoning was since the intake air is now pressurized, ie denser, the ram sonic tuning should change, but by how much and which way, I don't know.

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 06:33 PM

Quote:

Love the build and every aspect of your direction, very cool car! The twin turbo Long Ram will be a torque behemoth!

Have you considered reworking the plenum dividers to bring the torque curve higher like a short ram intake? I have a diagram to show how it's done, pretty easy mod

i'd like to see that diagram.

we really haven't been worried about the torque being too low. in fact, we are hoping that it will be a low rpm torque monster... i've split my fair share of blocks over the years and am hoping with this project to not spin it to the moon and maybe save on parts. it's a stock block with program caps, eagle rods & crank, indy-1 heads(left over from the candy wagon) small solid cam, and small turbos. this without a doubt isn't the all out race effort/most efficient/maximum power/set the world on fire combo! the car might still be heavy, and i'm not gonna set any records. we are really building this to look unique, run respectable, hopefully not break parts, and be able to nuke the tires off at ANY speed!

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 06:43 PM

Quote:

HOW long did it take to polish those pipes?! No other brand has cool like that.

about 20 hours per side.... and i'm not even finished with them yet!
Posted By: dwayne welder

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 07:24 PM

Just wondering are you going to add EFI to the long ram manifold??? Great build, I like someone who thinks outside the box!!!
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/18/14 09:52 PM

I love it....but it is begging for port injection and dry throttle bodies so ALL the compressed cross section through the manifolds is AIR and not displaced by solid fuel which robs volume for the air to go.

Also with those isolated bank runners a 180 degree (super light and super strong) Crank would be INSANE with all that available manifold torque.

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/19/14 12:05 AM

Quote:

i'd like to see that diagram.

we really haven't been worried about the torque being too low. in fact, we are hoping that it will be a low rpm torque monster... i've split my fair share of blocks over the years and am hoping with this project to not spin it to the moon and maybe save on parts. it's a stock block with program caps, eagle rods & crank, indy-1 heads(left over from the candy wagon) small solid cam, and small turbos. this without a doubt isn't the all out race effort/most efficient/maximum power/set the world on fire combo! the car might still be heavy, and i'm not gonna set any records. we are really building this to look unique, run respectable, hopefully not break parts, and be able to nuke the tires off at ANY speed!

In theory you'll likely need some of the ram effect to provide torque before the turbos kick in if going with blow through carbs as they will work like a NA setup until boost kicks in. The "Short Ram" modified intakes should provide plenty and offer a happy medium by bringing up the torque peak 1K rpm or so.

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/19/14 02:24 AM

Here you go

1. Center Punch & Drill two holes through the flat surface of each manifold 10.50" from the cylinder head end of the manifold tubes in figure A. Now center punch & drill two more holes as close to the carburetors as drilling and sawing will permit.

2. Saw completely through manifold along the dotted lines in figure A. remove cut out section figure B.

3. Remove inner wall of this section leaving only the top and bottom plates intact.

4. Carefully remove remaining section of inner wall below carburetor flange of manifold figure C.

5. Round leading edge of remaining inner wall to .125" radius figure D.

6. Reassemble upper & Lower surfaces of cut out sections by welding.

7. Leak test manifold assembly w/10-15lbs of air pressure

8. Re-machine all gasket surfaces to remove any warpage from welding heat.

Attached picture 8003021-ShortRamModification.jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/19/14 03:17 AM

Well I like the long cross rams, I would do it a bit differently...I would look to do somthing more performanced based.

Attached picture 8003096-Cuda2.jpg

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/19/14 03:35 AM

In theory you'll likely need some of the ram effect to provide torque before the turbos kick in if going with blow through carbs as they will work like a NA setup until boost kicks in. The "Short Ram" modified intakes should provide plenty and offer a happy medium by bringing up the torque peak 1K rpm or so.

thanks for the diagram! but i've got WAY too much time polishing the intakes and won't be cutting them apart!

i'm sure it will be a slight learning curve, but i also think sometimes we tend to overthink things too. back in the early 60's these long rams were used with some success, and i believe set a few records on a bonnevile set-up that used blowers.it might not be comparing apples to apples... i have thought about maybe adding a small shot of nitrous if it's a slouch off idle/ the line. who knows... only time will tell

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/19/14 03:54 AM

The cutting can be from the bottom side so it won't show. You are basically just removing the bottom side of the tubes, grinding away about half the divider wall along it's length, then welding the bottom back into place, piece of cake~

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/19/14 05:50 PM

As long as there has been some interest in this project, why not have some thoughts on what sort of power/ torque this thing might make ...I realize it's a shot in the dark to some extent because of the wildcard intake setup, and they might leave 100hp on the table but I'm curious to see what the general consensus might be.... Then look back when I dyno it and compare numbers
Here's the basic specs

440 Blk. Program caps
Eagle rods 6.76
Eagle crank 4,15
Ross custom dished pistons approx 9-1
Indy 440-1 heads decent flow #s but I can't find the flow sheets. They do have the 2.25 valves though

Cam Solid Flat Tappet
.576 lift
274 adv dur
[Email]246@.050[/Email]
114 lsa

Turbos Borg Warner
S400-64mm compressor
83 x 74, 1.10 A/R T6 Turbine

Carbs are Holley 450's set up for blowthru

We will probably try to figure out tunes for race gas(110) and one for pump gas (91) as well

So....... What do you all think??
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/19/14 06:08 PM

Quote:

Well I like the long cross rams, I would do it a bit differently...I would look to do something more performance based.

Someone did a lot of work to mod those intakes, if it's not a 'shop.

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/19/14 06:16 PM

WAG?

I had a rebuilt, mostly stock, 1960 Long Ram engine. Stock stroke, bored to 426 cubes, forged 9.6:1 lightweight Diamond pistons, stock rods, stock heads with bigger valves and a mild pocket port cleanup (these heads were quite restrictive, I'd guess at only around 220-230 on the intake side) stock 2903 afb carbs (they flow in the 400-450 cfm range) a hydraulic Comp XFI roller cam, lobes have between 236 duration @.050 up to 242 @ .050 with .630 lift at the retainers with 1.5 ratio rockers or .672 with 1.6 rockers, lobe center is 111. with this cam the party is over under 5,500 rpm. We dyno'd the engine and it made 512TQ/405HP with stock exhaust manifolds. Peak torque was around 3600RPM, peak HP was a around 5,000rpm, timing set at 34 timing/74 secondary.

With that in hand;

Your combo would likely yield similar numbers but with the 4.15 crank you'd likely hit your peak torque at a lower rpm and probably 25-50HP due to the better heads. I'd guess with the blow through turbos you'll be gaining between 150-200HP. I'd recommend having your pistons and other combustion chamber parts high temp coated and a water or methanol injection setup to keep things cool in there.

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/19/14 07:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Intercooler?

Kevin

Take a look at my dyno sheet. This is a 470" engine with an unported weiand tunnelram on a set of 906 heads. Running 14psi with twin te44s on regular old pump gas and no intercooler.
This is chassis dyno, so the converter does play a part, but this is what the tires are seeing.

Attached picture 8003794-004.JPG

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/19/14 08:06 PM

To me the issue is not as much the port cross section as it is if the long runner has to carry the fuel the whole way, if you can put the injector nozzles down by the intake valve (as close as you can anyway) all you have to worry about is moving the compressed air way down the rifle barrels, if you have to carry AIR and FUEL then a good bit of that runner column's volume and cross section (about 7.5% at a 12.5:1 ratio) is going to be displaced by the fuel where you really would rather have that much more room for AIR. The other thing is an injector will help atomize the fuel which will vastly improve the torque since you have a really bad short side in a conventional RB head.

The ultimate might be a standard port Chapman Stage VI head on a low deck block, this way you have a bigger valve, and a much better short turn radius all in a package that will allow the manifold to bolt up. The heads are still out there and they flow like mad (more than a lot of max wedge heads out there) for a 260CC port volume (which helps you as well) AND a standard port window that will mate up to your manifold. That turn radius and injector might make you another 80-100 lb/ft AND carry the torque curve way on up there, so you have a real win-win. That thing is begging for a 470" low deck with about a 6.8" rod (~1.23" CH piston with a d dish)

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/19/14 08:07 PM

I was a little low on my estimate...

Kevin

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/19/14 08:15 PM

Quote:

To me the issue is not as much the port cross section as it is if the long runner has to carry the fuel the whole way, if you can put the injector nozzles down by the intake valve (as close as you can anyway) all you have to worry about is moving the compressed air way down the rifle barrels, if you have to carry AIR and FUEL then a good bit of that runner column's volume and cross section (about 7.5% at a 12.5:1 ratio) is going to be displaced by the fuel where you really would rather have that much more room for AIR. The other thing is an injector will help atomize the fuel which will vastly improve the torque since you have a really bad short side in a conventional RB head.

The ultimate might be a standard port Chapman Stage VI head on a low deck block, this way you have a bigger valve, and a much better short turn radius all in a package that will allow the manifold to bolt up. The heads are still out there and they flow like mad (more than a lot of max wedge heads out there) for a 260CC port volume (which helps you as well) AND a standard port window that will mate up to your manifold. That turn radius and injector might make you another 80-100 lb/ft AND carry the torque curve way on up there, so you have a real win-win. That thing is begging for a 470" low deck with about a 6.8" rod (~1.23" CH piston with a d dish)

Those are a 2 piece manifold so they will fit both B and RB engines if that opens up any other head options.

Kevin

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/20/14 01:37 AM

The arc over the valve covers might be an issue if you raise the port window in the RB, the long horn intakes didn't have a whole lot of valve cover clearence to begin with.

As for standard port window flow (and MW too) the Chaps are tough to beat.

I'm just brainstorming a combo I'd like to try if if were mine. The 470 with an early 230 cold weather '71 casting (they're sill out there) would be a bit more durable in the main webs for all that mega-torque in a pretty big vehicle.

It'll be Awesome any way you do it though

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/20/14 06:24 AM

Take a look at my dyno sheet. This is a 470" engine with an unported weiand tunnelram on a set of 906 heads. Running 14psi with twin te44s on regular old pump gas and no intercooler.
This is chassis dyno, so the converter does play a part, but this is what the tires are seeing.

wow! that's good power... and right around the rpm range we think this one will make power and torque at too! got any pics of that thing?!
Posted By: davenc

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/21/14 06:19 AM

Dragula426, Trendz,

Why do you want the peak torque at such low RPM? Isn't the motor just going to blow thru the converter once loaded with the weight of the vehicle?

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/21/14 12:16 PM

Quote:

Dragula426, Trendz,

Why do you want the peak torque at such low RPM? Isn't the motor just going to blow thru the converter once loaded with the weight of the vehicle?

You don't put a race type converter in something like this. You use nice big towing style converters. There is power everywhere, so you dont need the crutch of a narrow powerband converter. You need to "unlearn" alot when dealing with this sort of stuff.
this is the only picture I have of the engine in that configuration...

Attached picture 8006025-e-mailsizedpics025.jpg

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/23/14 05:41 AM

Trendz,

I understand you would not put a race converter in this, but any converter that would not kill the engine in gear off boost is not going to stall anywhere near 2300 RPM behind the monster you built. I have a factory 440 converter (mopar designated it a 120K) and it instantly flashes to about 3300 RPM behind my NA 400/470 with 490 RWTQ. You may not notice this on a chassis dyno, but with the weight of the vehicle, particularly a old barge, it seems all that energy is just going to go into heat at the converter.

If you had a converter that would stall at 2300RPM with 900 ft/lbs, I don't see how the motor could run in gear off boost (guessing 20 ft/lbs).

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/24/14 02:51 AM

Quote:

Trendz,

I understand you would not put a race converter in this, but any converter that would not kill the engine in gear off boost is not going to stall anywhere near 2300 RPM behind the monster you built. I have a factory 440 converter (mopar designated it a 120K) and it instantly flashes to about 3300 RPM behind my NA 400/470 with 490 RWTQ. You may not notice this on a chassis dyno, but with the weight of the vehicle, particularly a old barge, it seems all that energy is just going to go into heat at the converter.

If you had a converter that would stall at 2300RPM with 900 ft/lbs, I don't see how the motor could run in gear off boost (guessing 20 ft/lbs).

Like I said, You need to unlearn things. I never said anything about "stalling" the converter. The truth is, on the trans brake, you can drive right thru the converter if you don't do some power limiting with engine controls. A nice tight large converter works excellent for MOVING a very heavy car with very low numeric gearing and extreme levels of torque. Will it make heat? Yeah. but not like a small race converter. Think of diesel converters and the narrow bands they have to work in.(mines tweaked and it's still governed to only 3200) I have a 1st gen cummins with a goerand non lockup converter.It is as tight as you can imagine, and it is not harsh when going into gear, or does it idle any different than a stocker. I would have loved to try it behind that 470

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/24/14 03:54 AM

True, but a large diameter converter isn't inherently more efficient just because it's larger....and every converter has an efficiency curve.... that said some Nitrous converters behind very quick ET'ing cars are actually so tight the motor alone won't hardly do a burnout on dry pavement without at least a single stage hit.

There are guys here that probably FORGOT more than I'll ever know about converters but with a Turbo you are adding torque to the powerband at a at a rate of rise far beyond that of a Normally aspirated combo, the reason/justification for a looser converter is essentially to side step the soft part of the curve and allow the vert to hit the tires more like that of a clutch whose RPM is matched to at or near the torque peak.

With blowers/spray/turbos and even a lot of big torque strokers I think there are many people who (whether they #! realize it or #2 would admit to it) have over-stalled/flashed their combos and effectively side-step a lot of Meaty powerband they could be put to use to propel the car.

The long rams are going to make more torque sooner so maybe you want to run a turbo with a tuned HOT side to bring in the boost, the VE on this motor with this intake is going to be so high at low RPM and low throttle position you're not necessarily going to be moving a lot of exhaust gas, and as a result the turbos may not spool up as fast as you think.

I'm much more concerned about the lack of cross section for the HP you can make on the boost (on paper), as I said to move the fuel all the way through the runners is going to take up a lot of volume I'd rather have reserved exclusively for boosted AIR and then let the injector just hit the valve with the needed fuel.

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/24/14 05:12 AM

Trendz,

I accept that I have plenty to learn, and admit to never tinkering with anything with torque levels of what you have. However, I also think your statement about what happens on the trans-brake, when the motor is likely making full boost, confirms exactly what I was thinking.

What sort of trans are you using? I assume you are planning to shift at a pretty low RPM. Thanks for the feedback.

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/24/14 12:48 PM

I hope you didnt take my "unlearning" comment wrong. I didn't mean it as any type of insult, and it wasn't directed at anyone. It was more a description of what I was going through when putting this together.
Anyway, I need to give you some history here. This thing was put together some time around 1992. Nobody(ok maybe not many people) were building stuff like this yet. I didn't have a target torque curve, and honestly didn't have much knowledge on this stuff. I started with the standard stuff to make a "go fast" car. gears, converter,etc.. I had the most complicated 12 second car on the planet.
The car was fun, but not fast. One day I decided to fix my weak posi diff. I wanted to drive the car while I was repairing the diff, so I slapped in a 3.23 "open" rear 3rd member. I drove the car and found it was doing exactly what you describe, but once the car was moving, it felt stronger. I had a factory stock converter laying in the garage, so I put it in. I drove the car and got a huge on my face. I litterally welded the diff up and went to the track. The car went in the high 10s. I started looking for a tighter converter. Found a place in town that built me a winnebago(rv) converter. That thing was awesome for awhile, but gave up after a year or so.
Anyway, incremental changes eventually lead to a different top end, cam, turbos etc.. in the pursuit of a faster car, and the stump puller engine eventually evolved into a more traditional race style motor and power curve. I sold the car in 2006. It was running high 8s at 3700lbs driving it to the track(and back home most of the time )

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/25/14 05:23 AM

Trendz,

I try not to take anything personally. I mostly come to this site to learn, and hopefully I have helped a few others here as well. Please don't take my question as disrespecting what you have done. I'm still waiting to get my junk to the track and hope for high 11s. No expert racer here!

The first converter I had behind my 400/470 was a MP175K unit I had around, and it felt like mush behind my motor. That was annoying so I swapped in a factory 440 converter and I love the responsiveness at a roll, but it is awful rough going into gear, and it really lugs the motor down at idle, making carb tuning more difficult. Somewhere in my future is another converter swap!

This is why I pay attention to "high" torque combos and the converter, particularly for mostly street cars. I really want to get it right next time, and want to fully understand how best to balance the in-drive idle characteristics, the responsiveness, and the ability to actually put power to the ground (as opposed to tire smoke, or massive slippage). I know the torque curve and converter need to be well matched, and I'm curious how others have done it. Your case is an extreme one, but sometimes there are good lessons to learn at the extremes.
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 01/25/14 05:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Trendz,

Like I said, You need to unlearn things. I never said anything about "stalling" the converter. The truth is, on the trans brake, you can drive right thru the converter if you don't do some power limiting with engine controls. A nice tight large converter works excellent for MOVING a very heavy car with very low numeric gearing and extreme levels of torque. Will it make heat? Yeah. but not like a small race converter. Think of diesel converters and the narrow bands they have to work in.(mines tweaked and it's still governed to only 3200) I have a 1st gen cummins with a goerand non lockup converter.It is as tight as you can imagine, and it is not harsh when going into gear, or does it idle any different than a stocker. I would have loved to try it behind that 470

Bingo! i have a 3000 PTC converter and can leave at any rpm on the transbrake. One time i forgot to put in a 2step chip and the logs showed 5100 rpm leave!

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 06/17/14 10:03 PM

I've gotten a little further on this mess. there is a bunch of pics on the project page for those interested

Attached picture 8179103-IMG_2209.JPG

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 06/17/14 10:03 PM

it's nice to see iit on the ground again!

Attached picture 8179104-IMG_2244(2).JPG
Posted By: dragram440

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 06/17/14 11:16 PM

You certainly do build the coolest rides at the track. I cant wait to see this thing. The Candywagon was awsome and I sure do miss watching it. I still think that was my favorite car to watch of all times.
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 06/17/14 11:32 PM

Quote:

it's nice to see iit on the ground again!

WA,WA,ZAT!?... BEYOND COOL. Keep up the good work...

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 06/18/14 03:21 AM

First of all I LOVE your build! But, at the risk of upsetting the masses, I find that the turbo tubing being crossed over the top of the intakes hides those beautiful Long Rams too much, was other routing considered?

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 06/18/14 03:11 PM

Quote:

First of all I LOVE your build! But, at the risk of upsetting the masses, I find that the turbo tubing being crossed over the top of the intakes hides those beautiful Long Rams too much, was other routing considered?

yeah they do cover the intakes, but it was tough trying to route them cleanly, have them symmetrical, and still have them joined (like a balance tube)
the tubing, valve covers, and block will be painted green, the long rams are polished, and i'm hoping they stand out more once everything is painted & put together.
thanks for the nice words!

Attached picture 8179823-IMG_2210.JPG

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 06/19/14 01:25 AM

That is going to be awesome, can't wait to see it done.

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 07/22/14 06:07 AM

a little bit closer on this project..

Attached picture 8215938-IMG_2294.JPG

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 07/22/14 06:08 AM

it's painted too!

Attached picture 8215939-IMG_2377(2).JPG
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 07/22/14 01:04 PM

That is one badash car.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 07/22/14 01:53 PM

I'm torn between " Mein Gott in Himmel " and " Muy Excellante ".
This is so cool that I can't even think in English.

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 07/22/14 03:27 PM

as usual, I posted a few pics in the project section too.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 07/22/14 06:12 PM

Son of a'.... now I'm going to have to change my post signature!

"Owner of the ugliest single turbo car on the planet"
Posted By: all spooled up

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 07/22/14 06:36 PM

different and cool I love it

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 07/22/14 06:46 PM

Quote:

Son of a'.... now I'm going to have to change my post signature!

"Owner of the ugliest single turbo car on the planet"

They're like fungus... they grow on you.

Kevin

Re: 61 Plymouth twin turbo longram project - 07/23/14 01:30 AM

I can't wait to see it in person. Looks great Tony
© 2024 Moparts Forums