I was cruising down the road today at about 55 mph on my way home from my brothers house which is in Elkton Md and I live in Parkville which is about a 45 mile drive. Temp was about 85 and all the sudden the car died. Fuel pump got real quiet and I could not hardly hear it with the key on eng off. This has happened before when the fuel boiled in the carb so I wait about 3 or 4 minutes and then the pump starts making its normal noise so I hold it on the floor and the car starts and runs fine. I drive about 5 miles with the electric fan off so it wont throw more heat at the carb as it was running good at 185 on just the normal eng mechanical stock type fan. I go to 7-11 and fill the cool can with ice and drove the next 30 some miles home with no problems.
It fooled me as the eng was only running about 185 but yet the carb got hot enough to boil the cheap pump fuel. Its the first time this year I have had any trouble. I built this to run on pump so I could pull in any gas station and get gas. I have a few of these gel ice packs so my plan is to keep a few of them in my small cooler on ice in my trunk so if I get stuck on a hot day I will just open my trunk and put one of the ice packs in my cool can. It seem to be like going back to the 70's with a cool can but it helps keep the fuel cooler which is important if you run this cheap pump gas with to much ethanal in it. As long as I keep the fuel cool with the cool can it is fine. Cant think of much else to do other then ice in the cool can as I already have a heat shield and I use a 1" phenolic spacer. The worst thing is the eng is not running to hot when this happenes as it just seems to be holding alot of heat under the hood making the carb bowls to hot to touch. I really dont want to have a cool can on my car as I stopped using them in the 70's at the race track but the cool can seems to be one fix that does work if you run pump gas. I hate to pay over $10. dollars a gallon just to run race fuel in my street car. Oh and I had some kid in a Suburo WRX try to race me from a 60 mph roll cruising down the road. I only had room for a quick burst just to show him that by just nailing the gas and leaving the car in high gear the old muscle will pull away from his turbo car. Course we never went over about 75 mph as I am sure that turbo car has a bit more top end then I do with my gearing. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 07/29/13 03:47 PM.