The beauty of NSS racing is it gives us geezers the opportunity to use outmoded parts and still have some fun.

I've been involved with this since 1964, when my cousin bought a new aluminum nosed Hemi 330 Sedan. I've been racing mine since 1969, and am a big, big supporter of NSS racing and have my own thoughts. I have no problem with some of the new equipment...in many cases it's better, and, more important, safer. And, in many cases, cheaper. If you want to be totally pure, don't have roll cages and let's all race in t-shirts that say Hurst on them.

See, though, I'm still pretty much a purist. My Hemi is still 426 inches, and has old NASCAR rods and TRW pistons.....even a Racer Brown roller. That stuff is worthless now, to sell, but I had tons of it here still in boxes, and sure didn't want to eat it. And, I still use SS springs....I'm one of those who are not convinced that Cal Tracs are the be-all end-all. I still like the SS springs. My dear freind Bob George calls me a dinosaur...I like the old stuff.

My big deal these days is lettering and the hood scoops. Back in the day, no one had hood scoops that were eight feet high. Also, everyone was lettered up. I don't know where this no lettering is cool deal came from, but in the day everything was lettered....and decaled. Contingency money was a big, big deal, and to get a piece of that action, you had to have 'em stickered up.

As far as tires go, I don't care. Again, safety and expense come into play. Back in the day, you could get away with a small tire because there were no decent converters around.

If someone somehow wants to feed their ego by building an eight second car, I don't care....except for safety. My ego doesn't require me to do that....I'm here to have fun. I was able to do it the first time around, and now that my kids are grown, house paid off, and looking retirement right in the eye, I get to do it again. How cool.

But, make 'em look the part. Correct scoops, letter 'em up. Oh....big blocks and two four barrells ONLY!!

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com