Quote:

Quote:

If you're stuck with a 5-speed stick, why don't you just pull a T56 6-speed out of a Camaro or Trans Am? If you want you can add a little more gearing to give the car a bit of an umph as well as have the .5 overdrive to keep your rpms down at cruising speeds.

I've going that route for my car. It's not cheap, even with used stuff. The transmissions aren't the cheapest thing out there. I'll need to hang a hydraulic clutch, the conversion bellhousing is over 500 bucks itself, have to cut the torsion bar crossmember and floor to fit it, in stock form the transmission has no provisions for a mechanical speedo output. Have to fab my own mount, etc. There are a lot of issues to deal with. I bought the trans for 500 bucks, but I'm sure I will have at least 2k into it by the time it's done.

A couple other interesting options for transmissions are out there if you pick up a bellhousing from a mid-late 90's v6 dakota with an ax-15 transmission. That bellhousing will fit a 2wd ax-15 transmission from a 90's cherokee you can score one of those transmissions for cheap, and all the needed conversion bits can be had for quite cheap already. Especially cheap because you're building such a mild v8. I have one of these transmissions in 4x4 form in my jeep behind a 5.2 magnum but have yet to run it. Another option is a toyota supra R154 transmission will bolt to that bellhousing as well. One of those could probably be made to work quite well on the cheap also and should be strong enough.

The T-56 would be perfect... and it is the endgoal for this car... no matter what ends up powering it. But for now... the money isn't there for it, nor is the time. But yes, a Magnum V8 with a T56 and some actual decent gears in the pig would make for a pretty fast AND efficient hotrod.

Onto the Jeep tranny... My girl has a 95 Cherokee 5-speed... and i've never really liked the way it shifts. But then again that is probably just the seating position and long shifter. Maybe with a short-throw in a car it would be good? Thats worth a consideration. I'll have to check out the gearing on both the NV3500 and the Jeep tranny and see whats what.

IF the NV3500 works... finding one already bolted up to a Magnum 318/360 (i'm seriously leaning towards the 360) would be just swell...