Quote:

My son has a SB Dominator on his 318, I'm not impressed with it at all. I would run a stock intake before one of those.
A turbo is a cool idea for mileage but the idea would be to run small cubes (273 again) with the turbo to maximize mileage. Maybe a 273, with 80 318 heads and a turbo off a Cummins. Run a propane system from Pick a Part with a Holley 1850 baseplate.
BTW my kid and I picked up a complete NV 3500 5 speed out of a Dakota along with the hyd clutch, flywheel etc. from pick a part for under $200. No the ratios aren't optimal but it is a cheap way to get into a 5 spoeed that actually bolts up to a small block, his is going behind a 360 into the 240Z project.

Sheldon

Yeah, i've heard that about the small block ones. They definitely got it right for the big block ones though... i love that design.

As for the truck 5-speed. I inquired about those to anyone i could find years ago when i saw a conversion bellhousing in some catalog (for big block). I thought the exact same thing... cheap 5 speed OD. No one could tell me anything about them, save for a couple guys that just said it wouldn't be good in a car. One said it was "notchy"... whatever the hell that means.

How is it not optimal? i'm guessing you've done your homework on it.