I have a 70 Challenger that i want to daily drive. Plans have changed from a gnasty big block 4-speed combo to a very modern small alum V8 EFI/computer controlled concept. Superior power, mileage, driveability, reliability, everything.

Thats all great... NOTHING beats the new stuff when its working right. But after some recent problems with the girlfriend's (again) 96 Mustang GT, and a friends newer car as well, i'm starting to re-think the plan. The Mustang broke today and what would have been a 5 minute diagnosis (possibly even 5 minute fix?) on an older Mopar was instead more ov a 30 minute head-scratcher, and some random smacking with a hammer. To no avail. Hell... had i diagnosed the issue... there'd still be maybe a 5% chance ov me being able to fix it.

I've been stranded by new cars as much as by old cars... the difference is i dont think i have EVER had to tow an old car home or to a shop.

Plans have changed.

My objective: daily driver, fun, as fast as possible (within reason), but more importantly... drivable, and the best possible gas mileage. I need to drive my Challenger daily, and be able to take it across country, just like any modern car... with the least possible financial damage.

It HAS to be a V8. No computers, no EFI. Think carb and distributor with electronic ignition. I want it simple... no... even simpler than simple. My Charger was that simple... and if it wasn't such a complete basketcase from day one it would have been great. I still daily drove it for over 5 years.

Magnum 318/5.2L with 4bbl and MSD + 5 speed stick and moderate gears (3.23ish)?
Magnum 360/5.9L with 4bbl and MSD + 5 speed stick and moderate gears?
Magnum heads on a 273 + the same?
Magnum heads on a 340 + the same?

I dont have money to rebuild/build and engine. It will be a running drop-in. I also dont have a lot ov money for the OD and other fun, but i DO have a complete big block set-up with a lot ov goodies to sell.

I'm not a small block guy, but i'm pretty good with a tune. Another plus is that this car will be pretty damn light for an E-body... likely very close to 3000 with a small block.

Ideas?